Fiat Ducati Comfort Matic Gearbox

Wanderer19TB replied on 30/05/2023 14:46

Posted on 30/05/2023 14:46

Are other members familiar with this type of gearbox. I recently read an article with regard to this type of gearbox, and subsequently changing the hydraulic fluid on the gearbox. Have any members had this done, if so did they have to have it done at a Fiat dealer. Has anyone encountered problems or issues with this  gearbox, if so are there any preventative measures that need to be undertaken 

Hja replied on 30/05/2023 15:12

Posted on 30/05/2023 15:12

Our previous van had a comformatic gear box. We were used to driving automatic cars, so it certainly felt odd. I got on better with it than other half. He had a couple of nasty moments when it went into limp mode for no apparent reason, once on the A1. Pull over. Turn engine off, start again no problem. We were told that if you managed to press both accelerator and break at same time, this could happen. It was one of the reasons for changing the van to one with a proper auto gear box. Can’t help with the hydrolic fluid question.

DavidKlyne replied on 30/05/2023 15:55

Posted on 30/05/2023 15:55

There is an interesting article in the MMM June magazine on the Comfortmatic suggesting that many of the problems can be attributed the fluid in the hydraulic system. The do have online versions on the magazine but I am not sure if there is a charge.

David

Wanderer19TB replied on 30/05/2023 18:53

Posted on 30/05/2023 18:53

David

you have read the same article as me. I find the gear changes smoother in manual than in the semi auto, which is great on motorway or dual carriageways. At least it does not creep when you don’t want it to. I have also read pressing accelerator and brake not good idea. 

EmilysDad replied on 30/05/2023 21:55

Posted on 30/05/2023 21:55

I find that on a modern car that has a drive by wire throttle, if you press both pedals it will effectively turn the throttle off .... I've been driving autos with two feet for years so have found this out by experience. But they have never gone into limp mode if both pedals are pressed.

EmilysDad replied on 30/05/2023 22:01

Posted on 30/05/2023 18:53 by Wanderer19TB

David

you have read the same article as me. I find the gear changes smoother in manual than in the semi auto, which is great on motorway or dual carriageways. At least it does not creep when you don’t want it to. I have also read pressing accelerator and brake not good idea. 

Posted on 30/05/2023 22:01

.... At least it does not creep when you don’t want it to.

I want & expect my autos to creep  πŸ™‚ It was one of the reasons why I didn't especially like the  DSG VW I drove years ago ..... I don't count my automated manual Smart! 🀣

bill replied on 31/05/2023 09:46

Posted on 31/05/2023 09:46

I have been driving a Fiat Comfortmatic gearbox for just over a year now but don't know anything about serving them which I will now investigate.

I haven't had 'Limp' mode but on a couple of occasions 'Auto N' was selected rather than a gear. I do find the brake pedal and throttle pedals are rather small and close together for my size 13 feet and the instructions definitely say DO NOT press the brake and accelerator  pedals together.

All in all I do enjoy drive it but would prefer a conventional auto gearbox.  The things I don't like about the Comfortmatic gearbox are :-
There is no creep facility which is helpful for holding on a slight incline.
The 'take off' appears slow compared to a manual.  
The gears change up quickly in an eco type fashion. (very good for fuel consumption !)
There is no 'Park' facility and you have to rely only on the handbrake.

Bill

EmilysDad replied on 31/05/2023 15:19

Posted on 31/05/2023 15:19

@ bill ... There is no creep facility which is helpful for holding on a slight incline.

That's when you use your left foot πŸ˜‰

Kasspa replied on 11/06/2023 23:06

Posted on 30/05/2023 14:46 by Wanderer19TB

Are other members familiar with this type of gearbox. I recently read an article with regard to this type of gearbox, and subsequently changing the hydraulic fluid on the gearbox. Have any members had this done, if so did they have to have it done at a Fiat dealer. Has anyone encountered problems or issues with this  gearbox, if so are there any preventative measures that need to be undertaken 

Posted on 11/06/2023 23:06

Hi W19TB,

I've had my Mileo 243 with this gearbox for 3 years now, covered 12k miles & currently in Europe for a 2nd tour.....

Last year we drove the San Bernardino & Grossglockner passes with no problems.

It does try to change up early & hangs in a low gear on descents, sometimes this is needed but other times I just opt for manual for the next higher gear.....

No, it isn't a conventional auto or DSG but it works for me as I drove pre-select & semi auto buses for many years.

Service book says: gearbox oil change at 1st service but Fiat Dealership said this is not required for 'low mileage' vehicles..... I'm assuming that it will be a requirement once it reaches what the normal service interval is, 2 years/18k miles.

In between time, Fiat are happy to offer what they call a low mileage service.

However, I would probably insist it being done this year given how hard it has worked on our travels.

hth

replied on 12/06/2023 07:28

Posted on 12/06/2023 07:28

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook