Fiamma awning rolled out in transit

thecat replied on 01/11/2018 16:09

Posted on 01/11/2018 16:09

We recently had an issue where the awning opened as we turned a left hand bend, caught on a bush and ripped off. I thought this was impossible as the awning is retained with a gearing system but it has happened.Has anyone else had a similar issue?

cyberyacht replied on 01/11/2018 16:51

Posted on 01/11/2018 16:51

I'm surprised that there isn't enough friction in the system, as evidently are you. Could it be that you hadn't quite wound it in tight and the movement as you drove along was sufficient to loosen it? 

Tigi replied on 01/11/2018 19:50

Posted on 01/11/2018 19:50

I`ve had two Fiammas and a Thule never had an issue I always used to tighten them in with a quite a bit of force and I`ve never seen any posts on the issue before, sounds as if you have been very unlucky.

JVB66 replied on 01/11/2018 19:54

Posted on 01/11/2018 19:54

I wonder if that has happened to someone else,as we passed the remains of a canopy in a layby on the IOW this yearsurprised

InaD replied on 01/11/2018 22:57

Posted on 01/11/2018 22:57

Some years ago that happened to friends of ours after we'd stayed on a CL.  They were on the road in front of us, and about 10 minutes or so after leaving the CL we saw their awning unfold, or unroll.  It was just after taking a left turn.  We were on the very outskirts of a small town, luckily nobody on the adjacent footpath.  We both stopped of course, and the only conclusion we could all come to was that it couldn't have been wound in properly, although of course our friends said they were sure it had.  No damage done fortunately, they were able to wind it back in and go on their way, and had no problems again.

We've had no problem with any awnings coming adrift whilst driving ourselves in the nearly 19 years of MH-ing.

thecat replied on 06/11/2018 13:50

Posted on 06/11/2018 13:50

The awning was under a month old having been fitted to replace the original that was damaged having hit a tree avoiding a lorry on the wrong side of the road on a country lane. Confident that the awning was wound in correctly, been doing it for 11 years, and have never had a similar problem with the original that was fitted from new.

young thomas replied on 06/11/2018 14:39

Posted on 06/11/2018 14:39

sorry to hear about your incident.

I may be wrong, but I thought our Thule awning had a 'detente' which clicked into place when fully rewound.

when unwinding, the catch was released and the awning freed to unroll.

Fiamma, of course, may be different....we had Fiamma on our first two vans but don't remember even thinking they might be able to unroll.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook