Fan in Thetford gas oven

Leticia2 replied on 12/05/2018 12:37

Posted on 12/05/2018 12:37

Has anybody suffered problems with the fan on their Thetford gas oven? On our last trip the fan was coming on and going off in short spurts. Not as previously and staying on during cooking. On the same trip the fan on our microwave also packed up and our front media system is not now operating properly. Understand that these problems can be caused by a power surge and there were problems with the power on the Club Site that we stayed at. We have replaced the microwave, but are yet to find someone who will come and look at the gas oven. We have to contact the installation engineer ref the media system. Any help would be much appreciated.

NevChap replied on 12/05/2018 13:08

Posted on 12/05/2018 13:08

The fan in the oven, as I understand it, is only to disperse heat when it gets to a certain temperature and is not part of a 'fan oven' as we would understand it on an oven at home. The fan on ours cuts in and out periodically so it would seem that yours is working OK. 

GodivaNige replied on 12/05/2018 18:34

Posted on 12/05/2018 18:34

The oven in my previously owned Buccaneer Caravel, also a Thetford, had the fan fail which was noticed whilst cooking the bird (crown) for Christmas dinner. As noted above, it’s a air circulation fan which is bi-metallic switch controlled to prevent the surrounding cabinetry from overheating during prolonged use of the oven. It was only due to the faint smell of scorching wood I noticed the problem, the woodwork around the oven being very hot to the touch.

The fan is mounted on the top of the oven and is very easy to replace. Replacement fans can be purchased for less than £3 from RS Components. Half a dozen or so screws to remove then slide the oven out of its aperture, just enough to access the fan but not so far you need to disconnect the gas supply. I supported the weight of the oven on the caravan step. Cut the two cables and remove the screws to take the fan out. New fan in and using heat shrink coated crimp connectors, reconnect the cables. Replaced the oven then tested, all working again. Took around half an hour.

The fan is a Sunon DC Axial Fan, 80 x 80 x 25mm, 41cfm, 1.7W, 12 V dc 

brightstar2 replied on 12/05/2018 20:35

Posted on 12/05/2018 20:35

A squirt of WD40 never does any harm and generally  cures most sticking components. 

Be sure to mop up any excess with kitchen towel though.

Leticia2 replied on 13/05/2018 10:55

Posted on 13/05/2018 10:55

Many thanks for responses. Will get OH to read and decide course of action. WD40 gets used often here.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook