External Silver Screens causing water leak

Nowti Berti replied on 05/11/2022 10:51

Posted on 05/11/2022 10:51

Hi all,

Has anyone else experienced water ingress when using external Silver Screens?

We've had them for a year and whenever we have heavy rain, there's always a slight trickle down the inside of the door.

We always make sure the silver flap is smooth over the door and Remis blinds, and it's not pulling tightly on the seal.

We definitely have the right Screens for our van and we don't have water ingress without the Screens. We've even tried tucking in the top main seam on the outside (as advised by Silver Screens) but that makes the leak worse.  

We all know that the benefits are huge at this time of year - so I don't want to give them up too easily. Is there anything else anyone has done to solve a problem like this?

Many thanks in advance!

SteveL replied on 05/11/2022 11:13

Posted on 05/11/2022 11:13

We had it for the first time in three and a half years of use this September. However, it was blowing 50 mph against the door. Where the pocket that goes over the Remis blind went through the seal there was a very minor ruck, but just enough to let the water in. A significant amount when driven by a gale force wind. Following that for the next gale I made absolutely certain where the material goes through the seal it was totally flat and there were no more problems. I also can’t see how tucking the main seam in would improve things.

peedee replied on 05/11/2022 11:25

Posted on 05/11/2022 11:25

Interesting, not had a problem like this in over twenty years of use of an external silver screen. Is your screen made by >Silver Screens< or another manufacturer? My current screen is a Par-gon (Foldable) and has been in use with Remis blinds nearly 12 years now.

It maybe worth posting your question on one of the dedicated motorhome forums, try >Motorhome Matters< it is free to post on it.

peedee

Tinwheeler replied on 05/11/2022 12:48

Posted on 05/11/2022 12:48

Over the years we used our Taylormade external screen on several vans but never experienced water ingress in this manner. Our vans were Sprinter based and Boxer/Ducato based so doors and windows were not always the same profile. The OP does not state what his base vehicle is.

ABM replied on 05/11/2022 15:47

Posted on 05/11/2022 15:47

Never had a leak using external Taylormade or Silver Screens but I have to admit that I have always bought them from makers as prescribed for the vehicle they will be used on.

Cornersteady replied on 05/11/2022 15:57

Posted on 05/11/2022 15:57

Not an expert or even a beginner and have no idea about how these things are held in place but just trying to help  - as it is just a trickle but could it condensation from the hot moist air inside condensing on the cold inside strap?

brue replied on 05/11/2022 16:18

Posted on 05/11/2022 16:18

I would imagine the screen alters the door seal to some extent and under pressure water will get in. We don't use silver screens ourselves but know they are a popular purchase for some.

Tinwheeler replied on 05/11/2022 16:23

Posted on 05/11/2022 15:57 by Cornersteady

Not an expert or even a beginner and have no idea about how these things are held in place but just trying to help  - as it is just a trickle but could it condensation from the hot moist air inside condensing on the cold inside strap?

Posted on 05/11/2022 16:23

That did occur to me but I’d think others would have regularly found the same issue if that was the case and it would probably happen on both cab doors. The external screen prevents the glass becoming cold and the fabric pocket over the top corner of the door should be a similar temp to inside the van.

My thoughts are tending towards a seal issue which might even be due to a slightly misaligned door.

I perhaps didn’t explain my meaning very well earlier but, what I meant was, we don’t know the base vehicle of the OP's van so comparing experiences of our own Srinters/Boxers/Ducatos could be of no help if the OP has, say, a Ford.

Takethedogalong replied on 05/11/2022 16:26

Posted on 05/11/2022 16:26

Seems strange to me, we have never had a problem with ours. The triangular section which fits over the corner of the door, and is the only bit on the inside is very thin, and certainly doesn’t prevent the door from sealing on our AS. Make sure you aren’t accidentally trapping some of the thicker insulated outside panel at the top of the door as you close it is my advice to try first. That said, our AS has a tiny gutter to channel rainwater away above the door, so it doesn’t drip down. Good luck with it. 

Tinwheeler replied on 05/11/2022 16:38

Posted on 05/11/2022 16:18 by brue

I would imagine the screen alters the door seal to some extent and under pressure water will get in. We don't use silver screens ourselves but know they are a popular purchase for some.

Posted on 05/11/2022 16:38

Tbh, I doubt it affects the seal, Brue. As TDA said, the triangular pocket over the top corner of the door is very thin fabric and purpose designed for this use. It’s not a case of tucking in the thick padded screen across the top of the door.

SteveL replied on 05/11/2022 17:03

Posted on 05/11/2022 17:03

My thoughts are tending towards a seal issue which might even be due to a slightly misaligned door.

I would agree TW. The OP does say since they started using it and they checked it is smooth over the door. When ours leaked this year it was from one small area where the thin fabric wasn’t totally flat against the seal. You could see the water oozing through pushed by the strong wind. Only realised when I picked up my coat, which was in contact with the door and it was soaking wet. No problems since.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook