Engine Management light

greylag replied on 02/09/2022 17:13

Posted on 02/09/2022 17:13

Looks as though our travels are at an end for this year.  Coming back from Yorkshire, with a 100 miles to go and the engine management light came on.  Handbook said ok to drive on and made it home ok.

Also the Air bag light came on a week later,....connected with the EML...I have no idea.

Local garage (good one) put it on the Diagnostic gadget and a fault was picked up on the Throttle body.  He tried 2 replacements and both had wrong connectors.  He said that the supplier had no idea when he would be able to supply a correct one. 

The garage said he had found one on eBay...in Lithuania?  So I ordered it and low and behold, that didn't fit, so that went back.

It has been suggested that I should check the Earth lead somewhere under the drivers seat and check that it is secure.

The garage owner is chain smoking and spends all day stressed out trying to get parts, I know how he feels.

EmilysDad replied on 02/09/2022 17:58

Posted on 02/09/2022 17:58

I'd have thought your garage could/should have been able to tell you why the air bag/SRS light was on when he plugged his diagnostic box of electrickery in while investigating the EML 🤷‍♂️ Very unlikely that the 2 are related. SRS problems can be down to damaged wiring under the driver's seat due to frequently being moved back & forward.

Re the throttle body .... sometimes you have to bite the bullet & go to the dealer despite the cost. 😓

eribaMotters replied on 02/09/2022 21:14

Posted on 02/09/2022 21:14

What engine does your motorhome have. Following the VAG emissions scandal my npw sold Skoda Yeti had the "fix". A while later the engine management light came on. The local Skoda garage in Norwich near where we were pitched said it was safe to drive and saw it next day. The diagnostics recorded a "Faulty throttle position sensor". They cleared the log and all was fine. It did not require a new part. 

Colin

Tinwheeler replied on 02/09/2022 21:21

Posted on 02/09/2022 21:21

Sometimes you need a main dealer with the manufacturer's diagnostic gear. Others may read the codes but not be able to clear them.

greylag replied on 03/09/2022 08:41

Posted on 03/09/2022 08:41

Many thanks for your replies, on Monday I will give the dealer a call.  Would the Skoda dealer be Simpsons?  That was where I bought the motorhome from  5 years ago and it was a brilliant buy.

Finnberrys replied on 03/09/2022 10:44

Posted on 03/09/2022 10:44

Is it a Fiat Ducato? If so, this may be a common issue. We had it happen to us and ended up having to have a new ECU fitted by a Fiat dealer. It was pretty expensive and we were a bit miffed to find this is quite common but possibly easy to prevent. We found out that it was probably caused by starting the engine when the battery (the engine battery) is low. It happened to us after one of the lockdowns, when we had our motorhome in storage and weren't allowed to travel to check on it or maintain it. I do recall checking battery levels before starting the engine and the engine battery was low... about 84%, I think. I can't remember the voltage. The leisure battery was fine, as we have a solar panel. I mentioned the low battery to my husband but he was able to start the engine, so we just carried on. I can't remember the details, but this may have happened more than once, before the warning lights started. We had a faint warning light at first, that we weren't that worried about. Then the airbag light came on, along with an alarm, beeping... and we were grounded. Had to cancel a trip, as we were told not to travel with that issue, but to get it sorted pronto. Apparently, sometimes, just resetting the ECU will fix it. That is cheap. In our case, that didn't work. Lesson learned... we now make sure we start the engine regularly and keep the battery topped up.  Hope you get yours sorted and if it's the same issue as us, hope this helps you to avoid it again in future.

greylag replied on 03/09/2022 19:24

Posted on 03/09/2022 19:24

Finnberrys

Many thanks, I can see similarities with my situation.  By coincidence I had my habitation service done on Friday and the engineer said 6 weeks ago he had exactly the same happen to his Ducato.  He checked the Earth connections and it cleared and has not come back.

I always remove my batteries over winter and keep them charged at home, so flat battery should not be issue.

It really is a minefield.

Thanks for taking time to enlighten me.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook