Electric powered MH 2021

Apperley replied on 13/11/2019 18:41

Posted on 13/11/2019 18:41

A number of concerns are put forward, range anxiety, time taken to charge the batteries, number of charging points available, impact on the electricity infrastructure to name a few.

But, things are developing quickly. A bunch of students at Cambridge University have developed an electric car which can reach speeds of 80kph (50mph) with four occupants, using just the power of a kettle. It has a single charge battery range of more than 900km, even without using the five square metres of solar cells on its roof. This is the equivalent of a trip from London to Edinburgh.

So soon we may have electric motorhomes. 

Tinwheeler replied on 13/11/2019 18:59

Posted on 13/11/2019 18:41 by Apperley

A number of concerns are put forward, range anxiety, time taken to charge the batteries, number of charging points available, impact on the electricity infrastructure to name a few.

But, things are developing quickly. A bunch of students at Cambridge University have developed an electric car which can reach speeds of 80kph (50mph) with four occupants, using just the power of a kettle. It has a single charge battery range of more than 900km, even without using the five square metres of solar cells on its roof. This is the equivalent of a trip from London to Edinburgh.

So soon we may have electric motorhomes. 

Posted on 13/11/2019 18:59

It’s not April 1st, is it?😄

SeasideBill replied on 13/11/2019 19:36

Posted on 13/11/2019 19:36

I’d like to see how that concept vehicle copes with real world motoring e.g. hills, keeping up with the traffic, darkness, rain, cold weather and all those other energy sapping situations. I’m sure it’s all good science and takes us forward, but practicality can’t be ignored. 

Navigateur replied on 13/11/2019 21:14

Posted on 13/11/2019 21:14

All the problems and worries about battery electric vehicles just disappear as soon as one doesn't really want to go anywhere in them. Much the same can be said about fossil fuel vehicles also.  So really, if people stopped wanting to go somewhere so much we would get this idylic world with little effort.

cyberyacht replied on 14/11/2019 18:19

Posted on 14/11/2019 18:19

Still can't beat Merve's lithium solar setup being pulled along on a few gallons of "chip fat". wink

SeasideBill replied on 14/11/2019 19:34

Posted on 14/11/2019 15:59 by derekcyril

Cant wait to go on site and pay 20 quid for hook up cos the greenies are charging vehicles

Posted on 14/11/2019 19:34

It’s up to the CMC to decide what it’s strategy is to deal with that. Hopefully they’ll be proactive rather than surprised by it. If you operate a system that’s open to abuse, you shouldn’t be too surprised when it gets abused. 

The ‘greenies’ as you describe them are not the problem here. They don’t buy EVs for fun, instead they pay a hefty purchase premium because they’re concerned about climate change and want to do their bit - good on them I say.

Using ‘greenies’ as a pejorative term isn’t very helpful. There still some dinosaurs out the that deny climate change, but many folks have moved beyond that now having witnessed regular extreme climate events far beyond what we experienced as kids. I suspect people in South Yorkshire mopping out their homes, Australians/ Californians surveying the charred remains of their homes, Africans wondering what happened to the rainy season, pacific ocean islanders in danger of inundation and polar bears wondering where all the ice went wouldn’t be overly concerned about a few ‘greenies’ or caravaners paying a few extra quid to indulge their hobby.

redface replied on 14/11/2019 19:49

Posted on 14/11/2019 19:49

Hi S B,

The one thing that puzzles me, with regard to climate warming, is that Ice ages come and go - as they have done - but none of the previous ones have been caused by us lot (humans.)

Now, in between ice ages you have 'warming', so what is different to that natural phenomena this time round?

To me it seems that it is just that we (the human race) are caught up in it, rather than causing it.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook