Electric Bike Carrier

denisew123 replied on 23/03/2017 20:14

Posted on 23/03/2017 20:14

Hi

Can anyone recommend a tow bar mounted electric bike rack to use on an autotrail ? Used to have a Witter but it broke cant find anything to replace it.

TonyIshUK replied on 01/04/2017 08:13

Posted on 01/04/2017 08:13

A little late in response.

THULE electric bike rack takes longer electric bikes. Total weight including bikes is about 80kgs. We take out the batteries before loading.

it has a loading roll on / up ramp included.

rgds

peedee replied on 03/04/2017 10:39

Posted on 03/04/2017 10:39

I use a Thule rack but my electric bike is a folding one which helps with carrying on the rack. Lower the seat right down and fold the handlebars down and with my wife's power trike on it as well, the weight carried is about 40 kilos. That, plus the weight of the carrier, could be a lot for some motorhomes with a lengthy overhang.

peedee

young thomas replied on 04/04/2017 09:19

Posted on 04/04/2017 09:19

as Peedee says, the carrying capacity of the MH model (especially on the rear axle) will have a great bearing....

you say you have a Autotrail, which year/model?

some of the recent mid range vans have been lengthened which has severely compromised payloads, certainly on 3500kg but also even on 3650kg (where there is no change to the capacity of the rear axle).

you many be surprised/horrified depending on model.....eg, a new 632 is 'unusable' on 3.5t even before ypunthink about a tow bar, rack and bikes.

please take great care and weigh the van paying particular attention to the rear axle loadings....

good luck.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook