Driving on to Levelling Ramps

hitchglitch replied on 24/08/2016 11:57

Posted on 24/08/2016 11:57

I bought the three stage Milenco ramps and in about 5 weeks of touring have only needed to use them about three times but being a complete novice I seem to make a hash of it every time. Handbrake on, first gear, lots of revs followed by burning smell (clutch plates?) and eventually up to second level. Top level seems too precarious and the ramps need to be VERY secure with no twisting etc. to risk it. Also some of the plastic is already breaking away so they are not as tough as they are made out to be.

Am I doing anything wrong? Is there a better system?

KeithandMargaret replied on 24/08/2016 12:23

Posted on 24/08/2016 12:23

Probably not doing a lot wrong.

We have the same type of ramp and it does need a bit of practice.

We have SWMBO directing the MH up the ramp and a curt hand signal when we are at the top, if we need to go that far, or where we consider the right height.

Then it's foot brake hard down, handbrake on and put in first gear before releasing the foot brake.

We found 'backing' on the blocks better than going forward as they can shoot forward by themselves at high speed depending on the surface beneath them – tarmac seems worst.

Having said all that we only used them twice in a month in France recently and they are deteriorating fast despite the minimal use they get.

Some people use wooden wedges, obviously cheaper, but they usually have less grip to the surface, especially grass, beneath them than the plastic blocks.

Unless the wine glass, and it's contents, are a a dangerous angle we try not to use blocks if possible.

DavidKlyne replied on 24/08/2016 12:44

Posted on 24/08/2016 12:44

I gave up on the sloping ramps and the three section ramps as I found them difficult to use effectively. I went to B&Q and got a couple of scaffold planks and cut them to size. I don't think they are more bulky and the beauty of them is the wheel is always on a flat surface. Might seem a bit Heath Robinson to some!

David

peedee replied on 24/08/2016 12:56

Posted on 24/08/2016 12:56

I never had any problems using the Milenco ramps. The only drawback I had was I always had to drive onto the front wheels forwards. Two years ago I had hydraulic leveling fitted, wished I had done it sooner. Expensive, yes, but wow does it make leveling on even the roughest of fields so easy.

peedee

hitchglitch replied on 24/08/2016 13:11

Posted on 24/08/2016 13:11

I gave up on the sloping ramps and the three section ramps as I found them difficult to use effectively. I went to B&Q and got a couple of scaffold planks and cut them to size. I don't think they are more bulky and the beauty of them is the wheel is always on a flat surface. Might seem a bit Heath Robinson to some!

David

I have some of these David, inherited from the caravan. May have to revert! Off to Italy for three weeks so will see how it goes.

avondriver replied on 24/08/2016 13:39

Posted on 24/08/2016 13:39

I agree that reversing on is easier. I can leave the drivers door open and sit so I can see the ramp and tyre whilst backing up. Saves all the worry about falling off the edge or driving off the top. Once that concern has gone the revs and clutch burning issues fade away.

QFour replied on 24/08/2016 14:14

Posted on 24/08/2016 14:14

That's why I use waffle boards / sand ladders. Far easier to use and can be used on soft ground or if you get stuck. Few blocks of wood and away you go. They have a nice rough surface for grip and are very strong.

Fysherman replied on 24/08/2016 14:17

Posted on 24/08/2016 14:17

David

I use this system but yours are posh, they have a strip at the back for the tyre to rest againstSmile

EJB986 replied on 24/08/2016 14:30

Posted on 24/08/2016 14:30

Place the ramp(s) up to the wheels, reverse (move forward) about 3 feet. Drive slowly up the ramps.

If one ramp is on the drivers side open door and lean out to see when to stop.....otherwise SWMBO indicates.

hitchglitch replied on 24/08/2016 18:15

Posted on 24/08/2016 18:15

Place the ramp(s) up to the wheels, reverse (move forward) about 3 feet. Drive slowly up the ramps.

If one ramp is on the drivers side open door and lean out to see when to stop.....otherwise SWMBO indicates.

So, a gentle run-up rather than a hill-start?

young thomas replied on 24/08/2016 18:41

Posted on 24/08/2016 18:41

i have two sets of Fiamma ramps. i just place them (end on) back to back, so two on the left side and two on the right, and just drive up on until the wheel drops slightly into the 'well' between the far end of one ramp and the near edge of the other. wheel sits, effectively, as if its on flat ground...

no need to have any one watching or yelling 'stop'.Happy

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook