Driver and passenger seat

Qashqai66 replied on 16/08/2018 11:00

Posted on 16/08/2018 11:00

I have spent many months researching the question of motorhome choice and thought I had found the right model.  Having tracked down the specific model I did the 50 mile journey to the dealer to have a look at it.  The first thing I did was to sit in the driver's seat whereupon it took me about fifteen seconds to realise that I would not be able to drive the model in question as the seat felt about as comfortable as a park bench.

Now I will start the search all over again.  I wonder if other people have difficulties with driver and passenger seats.  We love the seats in our Nissan which is one of the reasons why we are on our third model.

Thornsett replied on 16/08/2018 12:23

Posted on 16/08/2018 12:23

Some cab seats feel uncomfortable, as mine do, but they are good for driving posture.

You can replace seats in the cab and get ones that will be comfortable for you. There is a price to pay but if the rest of the van is what you want, maybe changing the seats is better than buying something that isn't quite what you want except the seats.

German vans tend to have firmer seats if they don't use the chassis manufacturers seats. If the van you looked at had the standard seat offering, an alternative is going to be difficult to find unless you splash out on new seats. However, have a look at Transits as they tend to have comfortable seats. A Renault/Nissan/Vauxhall based van may get your approval.

I'm assuming you do not have health issues that require a special seat.

Qashqai66 replied on 16/08/2018 12:26

Posted on 16/08/2018 12:26

Thanks so much for that information.  It had not occurred to me that replacement seats are available.  In fact, having seen the Auto-Sleeper close to, we are now considering the alternative of a Swift.  We need to go to another dealer for that and have a close look.

DavidKlyne replied on 16/08/2018 16:09

Posted on 16/08/2018 16:09

I suppose we are all different but with my knee and hip issues I find the seats in our Bailey (Peugeot cab) very supportive and particularly good for long journeys. If they were any softer I think they would cause all sorts of problems. You can't really compare van seats with an SUV as the driving position is much higher and legs and back will be in a straight position.  If I may say so you seem to be having a whole raft of difficulties deciding on what will suit you. Might it be an idea to hire a motorhome for a couple days to give you a better insight?

David

Tinwheeler replied on 16/08/2018 17:10

Posted on 16/08/2018 17:10

Q, you haven’t said what the problem was or what make of base vehicle you tried. 

The Peugeot and Fiat seats I find to be a little short in the sqab (front to back) but they’re OK and have plenty of adjustment. The Sprinter seats I found to be more comfortable but we're all different and this is one reason I’ve been urging you for months to test the vans.

Justus2 replied on 16/08/2018 17:23

Posted on 16/08/2018 17:23

Having driven several different vans and for a time smaller lorries for a living, I would say that professional vehicle seats do indeed feel hard compared to cars. However, they are built and designed to be used for long hours day after day after day, and it is this hardness, in my opinion, and the ergonomics, which prevents backache from hours and hours in the driving seat day after day. I never had a problem, either then or now with my Fiat based MH.

brue replied on 16/08/2018 18:14

Posted on 16/08/2018 18:14

Some good points about why "van" seats are harder, you need to remember they have got to stand up to use as driver/passenger seats and for many van users they are also used as leisure seats in the van.

Tinwheeler replied on 16/08/2018 19:10

Posted on 16/08/2018 19:10

I would say the seats are supportive rather than hard and they do seem to mould themselves to your shape. 

Commercial vehicles generally have better seats than cars and some HGVs have seats to rival good armchairs!

Doug n San replied on 20/08/2018 17:19

Posted on 20/08/2018 17:19

When we had our Fiat seats recovered I asked to have new foam fitted under the seats part as they were not comfortable and hard. It turned out that a structural metal bar was broken under the seats, so as a temporary/permanent repair the up upholsterer strapped them up with cable ties. and every thing is fine now.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook