Dometic RM7401 stopped working

kp2603 replied on 14/12/2017 10:50

Posted on 14/12/2017 10:50

We have a 2005 Plate McLouis Glen which has the Dometic RM7401 3 way Fridge Freezer, its been running absolutely fine until our last trip out, initially we noticed that the indicator display lights dimming, less on gas but definitely fading on all.  We took the journey about 1 hour and the fridge was not in the slightest bid cold, plugged it in, again not getting cold and would not fire up on gas.  You can hear the gas trying but nothing more.  Now the lights have completely disappeared.  Any ideas what we may be looking at here?  Ive tried without success to find a repair engineer near us (Redditch, Worcestershire).

Any tips on a) what it may be or b) any repairers located nearby would be most appreciated.

JVB66 replied on 14/12/2017 10:53

Posted on 14/12/2017 10:50 by kp2603

We have a 2005 Plate McLouis Glen which has the Dometic RM7401 3 way Fridge Freezer, its been running absolutely fine until our last trip out, initially we noticed that the indicator display lights dimming, less on gas but definitely fading on all.  We took the journey about 1 hour and the fridge was not in the slightest bid cold, plugged it in, again not getting cold and would not fire up on gas.  You can hear the gas trying but nothing more.  Now the lights have completely disappeared.  Any ideas what we may be looking at here?  Ive tried without success to find a repair engineer near us (Redditch, Worcestershire).

Any tips on a) what it may be or b) any repairers located nearby would be most appreciated.

Posted on 14/12/2017 10:53

If you go on the Dometic website there is a list of engineers 

NevChap replied on 14/12/2017 10:58

Posted on 14/12/2017 10:58

Sounds to me like you have a flat battery. Even on gas you need the battery to spark the igniter and as you say the lights (which run on battery) have dimmed.

kp2603 replied on 14/12/2017 11:27

Posted on 14/12/2017 11:27

When you say flat Battery, are you referring to the Leisure Battery?  If so, we've checked and this is working well.  Is there a separate battery/fuse that works the Fridge?

We spoke to a Guy in Worcester (from the Dometic recommended list) who was unable to come out, asked for details but we've not heard from him since.

Appreciate your help guys!

Tinwheeler replied on 14/12/2017 11:29

Posted on 14/12/2017 11:29

The leisure battery powers the control panel and, often, the interior light at all times. The cooling element is powered by the vehicle battery when the engine is running or mains/gas at other times. The cooling element has not cooled so my money is on a fault in the fridge’s control panel. Probably the PCB. 

kp2603 replied on 14/12/2017 11:54

Posted on 14/12/2017 11:29 by Tinwheeler

The leisure battery powers the control panel and, often, the interior light at all times. The cooling element is powered by the vehicle battery when the engine is running or mains/gas at other times. The cooling element has not cooled so my money is on a fault in the fridge’s control panel. Probably the PCB. 

Posted on 14/12/2017 11:54

That's or concern - £££££

Tinwheeler replied on 14/12/2017 13:56

Posted on 14/12/2017 13:56

If it says MH or caravan on the box, then £££££s are addedfrown  It might not be as bad as you think. I’d keep trying to get an engineer to visit in your shoes rather than visiting a dealership.

Fisherman replied on 14/12/2017 15:35

Posted on 14/12/2017 15:35

I had problems with my fridge this year.Twice it was looked at and no fault found. Eventually it was discovered I had inadvertently switched off the circuit breaker thus no electricity to fridge. Once reset worked OK Have a look at your circuit breaker box usually under the bed seats.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook