Dog travelling in a motorhome

beero replied on 01/05/2017 23:19

Posted on 01/05/2017 23:19

You don't say what size dog. I would not want a St Bernard flying about in an accident, for my own safety. A cage might be best if it is happy in one, but well fastened to the floor. Otherwise I would go for a full harness and a really strong lead fastened to something strong like an eyebolt through the floor into the chassis similar to a seatbelt mounting.

Tinwheeler replied on 02/05/2017 13:26

Posted on 02/05/2017 13:26

As long as it's restrained or contained that's what matters. Do what suits your dog and your layout best. Perhaps a collapsible cage suitably padded on the inside to protect the dog in the event of a bump.

Don't even think about drilling the chassis!

Chris102 replied on 02/05/2017 13:27

Posted on 02/05/2017 13:27

I use a dog crate (cage). I think it is the safest way of transporting a dog. If it is necessary to stop enroute for any reason the dog cannot escape onto a busy road.

huskydog replied on 02/05/2017 13:37

Posted on 02/05/2017 13:27 by Chris102

I use a dog crate (cage). I think it is the safest way of transporting a dog. If it is necessary to stop enroute for any reason the dog cannot escape onto a busy road.

Posted on 02/05/2017 13:37

Same herelaughing

dizzylizzy222 replied on 02/05/2017 22:21

Posted on 02/05/2017 22:21

hi ,  We have a transit conversion with a rock and roll bed. What I have done is to sew 2 " D" rings to the two back corners of her dog bed , which I then attach to the legs of the "rock and roll" bed , so this stops her dog bed sliding round. I then put her normal dog walking harness on  which has the lead attachment clip on the shoulders ( so no risk of strangulation if we brake heavily !!  ) then attach her normal dog lead to the leg of the bed.

So In effect she can lie in her bed or move around to the length of her lead. Works well for us, but if you don't have a bed leg to attach to, you would have to find something else !

Realise our solution won't work for everyone!! 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook