Damp - to buy or not to buy?

DaveHobson replied on 12/09/2021 09:10

Posted on 12/09/2021 09:10

We’ve put a deposit on a 3 year old Bailey Advance, and have now found a small area of damp in the bathroom floor - it’s a fairly high reading, in a small area in the corner next to the toilet, around 60%.  The dealership are making light of it, saying it can easily be fixed before we pay the balance and take delivery.  They claim to have recorded insignificant readings 2 days earlier, but there was heavy rain in the intervening day, so it suggests there’s ingress somewhere.  We’re now trying to decide whether to go ahead with the purchase, or to try to get our deposit back and look elsewhere.  What would you do??

Tinwheeler replied on 12/09/2021 09:20

Posted on 12/09/2021 09:20

I'd get my deposit back on the grounds the fault was not made apparent at the time of payment and run a mile.

If you buy it, you will always be looking for a return of the damp.

Bakers2 replied on 12/09/2021 09:22

Posted on 12/09/2021 09:22

Personally I'd walk away. Added to which you say it's increased after heavy rain, that speaks volumes especially if the dealer is saying it! Sad but I'd be looking elsewhere.

DaveHobson replied on 12/09/2021 20:27

Posted on 12/09/2021 20:27

Thanks, both. I think that’s how we feel too, although a family member has told us that most coachbuilt m/hs have some degree of damp. Maybe we’re just being fussy. 

SeasideBill replied on 12/09/2021 23:09

Posted on 12/09/2021 23:09

Damp in motorhomes is the same as damp anywhere else, it’s what you can’t see that you should worry about. I don’t know if coachbuilts deserve their reputation for damp or not, but a box with lots of joints rigidly fixed to a flexing chassis might have some inherent weakness?

Lukeledge replied on 12/09/2021 23:33

Posted on 12/09/2021 23:33

I wouldn't touch a motorhome or caravan with measurable damp on it. 

I would get your deposit back.

Dealers should have it fixed before they sell it.

Bakers2 replied on 13/09/2021 06:55

Posted on 12/09/2021 20:27 by DaveHobson

Thanks, both. I think that’s how we feel too, although a family member has told us that most coachbuilt m/hs have some degree of damp. Maybe we’re just being fussy. 

Posted on 13/09/2021 06:55

This may help you if you have a doubt about feeling fussy. Get your deposit returned and run, not walk away.

Caravan Moisture Meter Results

0 – 15%: The surface is dry, no damp present

15-20%: Make a note of the area, check again in a few months.

20-25%: Area needs further damp investigation.

25-30%: There would appear to be water ingress into the caravan.

Above 30%: Immediate action needs to be taken.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 13/09/2021 08:10

Posted on 13/09/2021 08:10

The dealership either knew & didn’t mention the damp or they didn’t pre check-either way sounds the alarm bells. If you take the LV with a fault you may have issues getting it in to be fixed. Run & don’t look back until you are well clear of these people. Then pat yourself on the back for your smart thinking👍🏻

B2-sorry I stole a wee bit of your post. . .Whoops🤷🏻‍♂️

Bakers2 replied on 13/09/2021 09:00

Posted on 13/09/2021 09:00

No worries Rocky. I don't think it can be said enough.

Just prior to OH's health 'performance' in 2019 we were getting high damp readings on the roof of our motorhome, 2002 model otherwise really solid and reliable. Weren't able to pursue due to circumstances just covered the roof. Despite everything it didn't dry out or lessen by much.

Long story short small holes in the aluminium roof, didn't know it could happen. Sold for a very small amount for spares or repair if the guy had the time, needed the whole lid and rear panel removed and replaced and I suspect the wooden starts etc replaced. Our damp readings weren't as high as 60% at any point. Unable to trace the registration on DVLA so scrapped 😪.

Gave us 14 years of wonderful memories. I'll be looking out for another in the future but not until our move is settled and the market has LOADS of hardly used 2ndhand ones on offer 😉🤣

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook