Condensation problems

Pilgrimphil replied on 06/10/2018 14:00

Posted on 06/10/2018 14:00

We were away during September & found that we had damp/wet clothes in the overhead locker. It doesn’t appear to have been water ingress, although it was raining at the time.

It seems to be condensation that was wet to the touch & ran down the inside face when disturbed. This is the first time that we have experienced something like this in over 12 years of motorhoming.

Presumably this is a “cold spot”. Is there any way of protecting against this? Where the beds abut the outside wall there is a “buffer rail” which creates an air gap. Is a similar thing required to the lockers to prevent clothes touching the inner surface? There is a small gap between the overhead cupboard base & the wall which presumably allows an upward airflow and there is also a small lip/upstand.

Would it be advisable to install some type of “barrier” to the internal wall surface to allow clothes to press up against it but to maintain the air flow gap?

I was originally thinking of something like a double suction cup with a rigid board on the inner face but it isn’t smooth & a trial suction cup wouldn’t stick!

We can’t be the only ones to have experienced this sort of issue.

Thanks in advance,

PilgrimPhil

ABM replied on 06/10/2018 16:58

Posted on 06/10/2018 16:58

Not  a  problem  I've  had  PP  BUT  I  do  know  that  the  Cupboard  doors  in  my  Autocruise  look  good  at  first  glance  but  they  do  not  shut  the  cupboard  away  completely,  they  leave  a  definite  air  gap.  This  of  course  reduces  the  probability  of  condensation.

mickysf replied on 06/10/2018 21:15

Posted on 06/10/2018 21:15

It's not a cold spot that's the problem, it's a lack of air circulation and material which absorbs and retains moisture. The vans fabric, be it metal or cloth is only as cold, or warm, as the ambient temperature, heated or not. Answer is keep van ventilated, eliminate 'dead' areas by leaving cupboard doors etc open and remove that 'sponge' like upholstery. 

Tinwheeler replied on 06/10/2018 21:19

Posted on 06/10/2018 21:19

It’s difficult to remove the upholstery when you’re staying in the van at the time, Micky.laughing

I suggest starting by leaving the locker doors open at night if you can, Phil. This should tell you if it’s an air flow problem. 

mickysf replied on 06/10/2018 21:45

Posted on 06/10/2018 21:19 by Tinwheeler

It’s difficult to remove the upholstery when you’re staying in the van at the time, Micky.laughing

I suggest starting by leaving the locker doors open at night if you can, Phil. This should tell you if it’s an air flow problem. 

Posted on 06/10/2018 21:45

Just lay on those slats, better than that bed of nails and you won't have that damp patch forming!wink Yes, you are right but again try to allow air circulation around those dead spots when and where you can will help even when in the living in the van. Windows open, lift the beds up, cupboard doors open etc when possible.

Pilgrimphil replied on 07/10/2018 15:18

Posted on 07/10/2018 15:18

Thanks to you all for your observation, suggestions & remedies.

We do keep the lockers open & aired when the van isn’t in use but thats not really practical when the van is in use.

I am minded to follow a suggestion of a using plywood [or similar] barrier with a carpet type material on the inner face BUT to allow for a small ventilation gap. I would imagine using something like a double sided draft excluder tape [2 to 3 mm thick max - in a vertical strip] to create the gap.

I’m not convinced that eliminating the air gap totally is the way forward.

Thanks again for all your feedback.

PilgrimPhil

dmcv replied on 10/11/2018 16:04

Posted on 10/11/2018 16:04

Used to work for double-glazing company.  Old geezer there said condensation can only be cured by adequate ventilation and raising the temperature by one degree.

Our old Autocruise had an annoying aluminium frame which ran up the rear corners an all through the overhead lockers.  It was always damp in winter with condensation from us and cooking..

What a stupid design.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook