Comfort-matic

Yetiowner replied on 24/04/2022 18:50

Posted on 24/04/2022 18:50

How do people find this kind of automatic? We are buying a 2019 Vantage NEO motorhome and would welcome comments.

Thanks, I Yeti owner

Tinwheeler replied on 24/04/2022 19:00

Posted on 24/04/2022 19:00

Isn’t this a name given to the horrible automated manual transmission?

Tell us what the base vehicle is and you might find someone here who has knowledge of it.👍🏻

EmilysDad replied on 24/04/2022 22:19

Posted on 24/04/2022 22:19

Fiat's Comfort-matic has never had a good reputation, but some people are anti automatics in general because they 'want to be in control' or have never ever driven one further than the end of the road. Dual Clutch Transmissions eg VW's DSG are much better though I'd still prefer a 'proper' slush box auto.

Kasspa replied on 25/04/2022 20:57

Posted on 24/04/2022 18:50 by Yetiowner

How do people find this kind of automatic? We are buying a 2019 Vantage NEO motorhome and would welcome comments.

Thanks, I Yeti owner

Posted on 25/04/2022 20:57

I have had my Benimar Mileo with Comfort-Matic for 2 years & am generally very happy with it..... it has the UP button to assist with hill climbing which I find works well.

No problems with Cruise Control.

My only gripe with it is that it holds lower gears too long on descents that I just manage manually..... other than that I rarely use it manually.... as the name suggests, I enjoy the comfort.....

It isn't a fully automatic gearbox, don't expect as much but do give it a good test drive in variable traffic conditions.

Hope this helps.

replied on 25/04/2022 21:56

Posted on 24/04/2022 18:50 by Yetiowner

Thanks, I Yeti owner

Posted on 25/04/2022 21:56

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

peedee replied on 26/04/2022 10:26

Posted on 26/04/2022 10:26

I have an auto change box similar to the Comfortmatic, IVECO call it the AGile. Its been in use 10years and 50K miles in all terrains both here in the UK and on the Continent. It has never let me down and I love it but as DD says the gear changes can be a bit slow and are smooth but patience takes all the stress out of driving leaving you to concentrate on other things like steering on mountainous twisty roads.It can be a bit slow to change down on hills and I will quite often flick it down into manual in such circumstances.  With the added benefits of cruise control I would not be without it

Here is what the advertising speel says:

The AGile,which is simpler and more pleasant to drive with its automated six-gear
shift.This is a shift that does not require the use of the clutch, and has been specially
designed to reduce fatigue at the wheel and improve concentration.It can be used in either of two modes:
• automatic, which is ideal for use in built-up areas;
• manual, with sequential entry of the gears for those who prefer a more
dynamic driving style in the more technical and demanding stretches.
A display on the instrument panel clearly indicates the mode being used.
Designed to recognise and adapt to all driving styles, this automated gear
shift also optimises fuel consumption.

peedee

replied on 26/04/2022 10:51

Posted on 26/04/2022 10:26 by peedee

I have an auto change box similar to the Comfortmatic, IVECO call it the AGile. Its been in use 10years and 50K miles in all terrains both here in the UK and on the Continent. It has never let me down and I love it but as DD says the gear changes can be a bit slow and are smooth but patience takes all the stress out of driving leaving you to concentrate on other things like steering on mountainous twisty roads.It can be a bit slow to change down on hills and I will quite often flick it down into manual in such circumstances.  With the added benefits of cruise control I would not be without it

peedee

Posted on 26/04/2022 10:51

peedee replied on 26/04/2022 11:16

Posted on 26/04/2022 11:16

Not noticed any of the downhill experiences you have had. It does hold the gear going downhil but if I flick it into a higher one it stays there until I brake to a slower speed. My engine is a Fiat 3L and while IVECO call it an AGile box it may be based on Fiat technology?

In the absence of information to the contrary, I have always believed the transmission system (rear wheel drive) to be an IVECO product.

peedee

replied on 26/04/2022 16:03

Posted on 26/04/2022 11:16 by peedee

Not noticed any of the downhill experiences you have had. It does hold the gear going downhil but if I flick it into a higher one it stays there until I brake to a slower speed. My engine is a Fiat 3L and while IVECO call it an AGile box it may be based on Fiat technology?

In the absence of information to the contrary, I have always believed the transmission system (rear wheel drive) to be an IVECO product.

peedee

Posted on 26/04/2022 16:03

Thornsett replied on 03/05/2022 19:03

Posted on 03/05/2022 19:03

I've done 46,000 miles with a ComfortMatic and the 130bhp. The only trouble I have is when in the High Peak area where the roads (eg Macclesfield to Buxton) sometimes demand quicker gear changes than the ComfortMatic can manage. The solution is to switch to manual.

Would I buy a van with it? Yes if I wanted relaxed driving.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook