Cold Air Problems

bigel replied on 04/01/2018 10:58

Posted on 04/01/2018 10:58

We recently bought a brand new
Peugeot Elddis Autoquest Evolution 155 -  Fantastic. Fixed bed no more putting settees together. We went to the Lake District at end of October. Now the motorhome has we wee step up inside to the sitting area. When we parked up we noticed an incredible draught coming from under this step. We couldn't think where it was coming from. It seemed to be coming from everywhere around and under the seating area. It was absolutely freezing to the extent we couldn't sit in the seating area as it was so cold. We actually had to wear Jackets with the heating on. The only heater is at the foot of the bed and it blows straight into the cold air so it is not heating the seating area at all. The warmest place in the van is actually the toilet. We went out again in November this time it was even worse. We had to block up all floor gaps,etc. It was so so cold. The draught is so strong it you cannot light a lighter if you hold it to the source. When we got home to some warmth we looked under the van and there is a huge vent that goes right up through the floor Just a vent - a hole that's it. Has anyone else experienced this and what can be done. We have been told that because its an 18 Model we have to wait to see if anyone else complains before Elddis will look into it... Any ideas on how to stay warm if we go out in the winter and what we can do to get this rectified this is only our second Motorhome and we only went out in summer with the other one which was an Elddis 115. Many Thanks for any help you can give me

mickysf replied on 04/01/2018 11:38

Posted on 04/01/2018 11:38

Not exactly sure of this model but I think the 4KW heating runs on gas and/or electric which should be ducted throughout. In one of our vans we had a similar issue. After investigation it was issues with the ducting becoming unattached and 'leakages' elsewhere from the heating unit itself right through to vents. This meant the system was barely warm at the end of the runs and inefficient. Using duct tape I managed to solve this and the van became and stayed warmer throughout. We also found using gas to warm up the fabric of the van on arrival at site and then switching to electricity helped. We also carried a fan heater which helped at times when temperatures were very cold but only used it on rare occasions.

replied on 04/01/2018 12:03

Posted on 04/01/2018 12:03

I certainly would check out the ducting. I have had a similar problem to Micky with a caravan and ducted heating - a duct not connected.

brue replied on 04/01/2018 12:22

Posted on 04/01/2018 12:22

Why not put your comments in review form on the Elddis web site, I see that each van has a review section. It might be interesting to see if your comments receive the attention they perhaps need?

Randomcamper replied on 04/01/2018 12:42

Posted on 04/01/2018 12:42

The Elddis 115 I used to own had factory installed vents in the floor under the seats, in the rear lower cupboards etc.

Presumably they are to provide adequate ventilation.  I deemed they provided more ventilation than I needed, especially in winter, so blocked some up.

Five minute job with some bits of old cut up towel & duct tape.  Obviously you will need some ventilation in the van and don't block the ones by any gas equipment obviously.  I never had condensation or damp issues.

hitchglitch replied on 04/01/2018 21:53

Posted on 04/01/2018 21:53

It’s a new motorhome and the heating is not fit for purpose. Surely that has to be a warranty claim and the dealer needs to sort it out, not Elddis.

Hallsontour replied on 06/01/2018 08:33

Posted on 06/01/2018 08:33

Hi Bigel, we have a 155 too but a 2015 model. I must say we've never had this problem with it though. Our heating is also just vented out at the rear of the van, the pipes don't leave the area under the bed! You can't use the room divider when the heating is on as the hottest vent at the end of the bed is then blocked by the divider. I'm sure designers don't go camping in their own products.

They must have put a new vent in the floor for your model for some reason. The boss always says she's cold anyway so I can't go by her thermostat, but we've never been freezing and we've used the van many times over the winter months. We've found it to be a great van in general. I hope you can sort this problem out soon as it'll be a pity for you not to enjoy your new purchase, to say the least! Good luck

young thomas replied on 06/01/2018 09:39

Posted on 04/01/2018 21:53 by hitchglitch

It’s a new motorhome and the heating is not fit for purpose. Surely that has to be a warranty claim and the dealer needs to sort it out, not Elddis.

Posted on 06/01/2018 09:39

i agree with Hitch, unless you are absolutely convinced that the dealer has the gumption to fix this, reject the van now.

your post suggests there are no heating vents forward of the wardrobe, if this is true then the install wont be able to bring heat to where you want it, we have five in the lounge alone!

ive read other posts on another forum where (supposedly premium) vans just dont route any hot air vents beyond the habitation door as the heater is on the same side as the door and the designers couldnt find a way to bypass the door....so didnt bother!

even my old Bolero (same layout as your Elddis) managed to route the heating pipe under the floor and back into the van to heat the front lounge area....not wholly satisfactory, but better than nothing.

tell the dealer you need the heating revised to include at least two vents upfront, all draughts resolved, and the opportunity for you to test to your satisfaction.

if they cant/wont do this, get your money back and buy a van with a decent heating system....you obviously want to tour in colder weather. a van that is cold will drive you nuts, as it obviously is doing now.

as it stands, this van is not fit for purpose, its the dealers job (not Elddis') to fix it....if they want to involve Elddis thats up to them, but your contract is with the dealer......do not be fobbed off....fixed or money back, in a timely (agreed) manner.

good luck.

mickysf replied on 07/01/2018 17:39

Posted on 07/01/2018 17:39

Looking at Elddis' own sales information for this vehicle it states "Space-saving Whale heating- runs on gas and/or electric with quiet night-time setting - ducted heating throughout, including bathrooms." Now I guess it is all down to what they mean for you to understand by that word 'throughout'! In my book it means that those ducts run from one end to the other or everywhere. Any thoughts?

Rusty babe replied on 26/03/2018 17:56

Posted on 04/01/2018 10:58 by bigel

We recently bought a brand new
Peugeot Elddis Autoquest Evolution 155 -  Fantastic. Fixed bed no more putting settees together. We went to the Lake District at end of October. Now the motorhome has we wee step up inside to the sitting area. When we parked up we noticed an incredible draught coming from under this step. We couldn't think where it was coming from. It seemed to be coming from everywhere around and under the seating area. It was absolutely freezing to the extent we couldn't sit in the seating area as it was so cold. We actually had to wear Jackets with the heating on. The only heater is at the foot of the bed and it blows straight into the cold air so it is not heating the seating area at all. The warmest place in the van is actually the toilet. We went out again in November this time it was even worse. We had to block up all floor gaps,etc. It was so so cold. The draught is so strong it you cannot light a lighter if you hold it to the source. When we got home to some warmth we looked under the van and there is a huge vent that goes right up through the floor Just a vent - a hole that's it. Has anyone else experienced this and what can be done. We have been told that because its an 18 Model we have to wait to see if anyone else complains before Elddis will look into it... Any ideas on how to stay warm if we go out in the winter and what we can do to get this rectified this is only our second Motorhome and we only went out in summer with the other one which was an Elddis 115. Many Thanks for any help you can give me

Posted on 26/03/2018 17:56

Hi we bought a new Elddis 255 last year and it's gone back in several times with heating problems.weve got the Alde system and I'm not convinced it's that good. I know the vents you refer to. I've got underneath and blocked them up.I know I shouldn't but it was just like a gale blowing through the van.its better now  but the cab is cold when travelling . With the cab heating up high it warms a bit but if we go over 60 the cab becomes cold. I think the van is over vented.I would be interested to hear if others are having these problems and what others think of this Alde heating.

young thomas replied on 26/03/2018 18:35

Posted on 26/03/2018 18:35

Alde heating 'should' be providing you with a system that works just like home....a wet system with radiators.....and some other extras which can't be had with blown air heating....

the main advantage is that the hot water from the boiler to even the furthest corners of the van shouldn't cool at all, providing a consistent heat all over the van....blown air heating can struggle with vents a long way from the boiler as air can cool much more quickly than the fluid in the ALDE system...

however, the system needs to be installed correctly, with radiators and 'vents' throughout the van....if a whole section of the van is devoid of these, you will still get colder spots.....

another issue is that the fluid takes far longer to heat up than in air systems, which can have a van warm in quick time....

if you're not happy that it's working sufficiently well, get hold of the dealer and test/correct as necessary...

good luck

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook