C&M adverts re valuation

Ivannet replied on 22/07/2020 11:57

Posted on 22/07/2020 11:57

Hi all

We are planning on selling our motorhome and putting the money toward a caravan/car.

In the club magazine there are many adverts for companies who buy motorhomes in 'any condition' and 'collect from anywhere' etc.  Does anyone have any experience of using these firms?  My gut tells me to avoid them.  ~Does anyone have any advice re putting a value on a m/home, other than trawling through adverts for something similar?

DavidKlyne replied on 22/07/2020 13:00

Posted on 22/07/2020 13:00

When we purchased our first motorhome we traded in the caravan towards the cost of the motorhome. It just happen the company had two outlets, one selling caravans and one motorhomes. It might depend on the value of your motorhome viz a viz the caravan you buy. 

I am not sure "We buy any Caravan.com" has yet been invented but the car buying website seems to have a reasonable reputation. You won't know until you have a chat to them.

David

Tinwheeler replied on 22/07/2020 13:07

Posted on 22/07/2020 13:07

Some of the LV buyers have been in business tor years. I’ve contacted them in the past and they seemed reasonable. The big advantages are that they come to you and collect and you get the payment electronically there and then without the effort and risk involved in advertising a private sale or haggling a p/ex deal.

Call a few and sound them out. You’ve nothing to lose other than the cost of a few phone calls.

Also, try ringing a few local non-mainstream dealers who sell used MHs. We did that and got a simple and reasonable deal.

replied on 22/07/2020 13:12

Posted on 22/07/2020 13:00 by DavidKlyne

When we purchased our first motorhome we traded in the caravan towards the cost of the motorhome. It just happen the company had two outlets, one selling caravans and one motorhomes. It might depend on the value of your motorhome viz a viz the caravan you buy. 

I am not sure "We buy any Caravan.com" has yet been invented but the car buying website seems to have a reasonable reputation. You won't know until you have a chat to them.

David

moulesy replied on 22/07/2020 13:26

Posted on 22/07/2020 13:26

We used the company above when we sold our van last year. We'd advertised privately and got some enquiries, but the van was 10 years old and as soon as we mentioned a couple of things that would need fixing they just lost interest.

We got an estimate over the phone which ended up within £500 of what we eventually received  (in cash!) - guy drove all the way from Colchester to Wiltshire to collect the van and back the same day.

I guess we could have persevered in trying to sell it ourselves, but, to be honest, selling it that way removed all the hassle.

SeasideBill replied on 22/07/2020 20:36

Posted on 22/07/2020 20:36

The motorhome market is very strong at the moment - probably more so than many years. Forced staycations and months of lost production have driven up demand. Dealers aren’t giving cash discounts for decent MHs and sales are fast & furious. You might just find this is the right time to sell it yourself? Remember, all these dealers are taking a commission out of your pocket.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 23/07/2020 08:11

Posted on 22/07/2020 20:36 by SeasideBill

The motorhome market is very strong at the moment - probably more so than many years. Forced staycations and months of lost production have driven up demand. Dealers aren’t giving cash discounts for decent MHs and sales are fast & furious. You might just find this is the right time to sell it yourself? Remember, all these dealers are taking a commission out of your pocket.

Posted on 23/07/2020 08:11

That shocks me SB, millions unemployed( Govt projected) jobs & companies lost, others on short time working I’d expect the ‘big purchases’ to be put on hold if not now then very soon. It’s good news if you are right for at least 1 industry👍🏻

JVB66 replied on 23/07/2020 08:22

Posted on 23/07/2020 08:11 by Rocky 2 buckets

That shocks me SB, millions unemployed( Govt projected) jobs & companies lost, others on short time working I’d expect the ‘big purchases’ to be put on hold if not now then very soon. It’s good news if you are right for at least 1 industry👍🏻

Posted on 23/07/2020 08:22

There has been a very large increase in the market for LVs and holidaypark homes in the last weeks, as more are now having "staycations",and even on CT ,which is a tiny proportion of this clubs membership I have noticed numerous new members posting,two of our neigbours have now decided to have a closer look at LVs ,and they have in the past been a bit anti and an "over there" holidays

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 23/07/2020 09:44

Posted on 23/07/2020 08:22 by JVB66

There has been a very large increase in the market for LVs and holidaypark homes in the last weeks, as more are now having "staycations",and even on CT ,which is a tiny proportion of this clubs membership I have noticed numerous new members posting,two of our neigbours have now decided to have a closer look at LVs ,and they have in the past been a bit anti and an "over there" holidays

Posted on 23/07/2020 09:44

It shocks me tbh🤷🏻‍♂️. It must be mainly cash rich older folks then👍🏻. Either that or the Govt is kidding us about all the folk losing jobs or on reduced hours/wages.

SeasideBill replied on 23/07/2020 09:59

Posted on 23/07/2020 09:44 by Rocky 2 buckets

It shocks me tbh🤷🏻‍♂️. It must be mainly cash rich older folks then👍🏻. Either that or the Govt is kidding us about all the folk losing jobs or on reduced hours/wages.

Posted on 23/07/2020 09:59

The folks hit hardest now and into the future by the fall-out from CV19 are not in the demographic that purchase motorhomes. If anything, many in that group have been frustrated by having nothing to spend money on since March. The trend may not continue too long tho’ if we plunge into deep recession as seems probable.

replied on 23/07/2020 10:23

Posted on 23/07/2020 10:23

Many folk not in work have been furloughed on 80% wage. I retired 12 years ago but would probably worked from home, would not have gone out with friends for a meal or paid for fuel and have saved £1,000 plus around £4,000 in holidays not taken and so overall would have been a £5,000 saving. Had I been furloughed then with a lower tax and other reductions, no travelling I would still have been £700 down over 3 months but overall about £4,000 better off due to no holidays, meals etc.

Different figures for all and I know some will be out of work, running small businesses that could not trade etc. but for those that previously holidayed abroad a couple of times a tear or more they have probably saved more than they lost if working from home or furloughed

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook