Choosing a motorhome

Qashqai66 replied on 18/04/2018 14:03

Posted on 18/04/2018 14:03

I am so grateful to all you folk who have offered advice.  My wife and I thought we had made a decision in favour of an Auto-Sleeper Stanton.  However, we have just fond details of the Eldiss Accord 120 which has  a layout we prefer with a small chest between the parallel sofas/bunks.  I am not sure if it can be bought with an auto box but if it can be then it becomes a serious option for us.  We love the thought of Mercedes engineering but it is a great deal more money than the Peugeot/Eldiss offering.

Are Eldiss motorhome owners happy with their vans?

young thomas replied on 18/04/2018 18:01

Posted on 18/04/2018 18:01

some brands which come on a Peugeot Boxer as std, can be ordered on a Ducato should the customer require the Comfortmatic option.

two things, it isn't a true auto, it's a 'robotised clutch operation' gearbox, so it will feel different to a torque converter box...

secondly, Elddis may not be able to give you this option...

AFAIK, the Nuevo is the Peugeot equivalent to the Stanton, but I doubt you'll get AS to build one on a Ducato as they want you to spend the cash on a Merc if you want an auto....

BTW, the 120 is a rear lounge model, not like the Stanton which is a front lounge model.

the Accordo 105 is the nearest in layout to the Stanton... 

DavidKlyne replied on 18/04/2018 20:32

Posted on 18/04/2018 20:32

I think Elddis only build on the Peugeot base.

I quite liked the Accordo range but if you look at the 105 (lovely layout) just check out the bed width and decide whether it is large enough? If you don't mind going a bit bigger have a look at the Bailey Advance 66-2 which has been considerably improved over the original model.

David

hitchglitch replied on 18/04/2018 20:34

Posted on 18/04/2018 20:34

We have the AS Broadway and I thought that we should have gone for the Mercedes version (Bourton) but I actually find the manual gearbox quite fun as I haven’t driven a manual for about 30 years. The Mercedes chassis is I am sure superior but there is a compromise in the  size of the water tank and internal storage so make sure that whatever you buy you look carefully at the specification.

young thomas replied on 19/04/2018 07:24

Posted on 19/04/2018 07:24

further to my earlier post re: brands using the DUcato to accommodate the Comfortmatic system, Autotrai (Imala 615, Tracker EKS) and Swift (Bessacarr 512) make small side sofa layouts that are close to the Stanton in design and can have auto.. 

.good luck...smile

cyberyacht replied on 19/04/2018 07:26

Posted on 19/04/2018 07:26

Accordo's are all on a Peugeot chassis and only available as a manual. If you are serious about an Accordo, I would suggest looking at the Marquis Majestic range as they are based on an Accordo with a few extra goodies thrown in, one of which is an uprated engine.

young thomas replied on 19/04/2018 07:31

Posted on 18/04/2018 20:32 by DavidKlyne

I think Elddis only build on the Peugeot base.

I quite liked the Accordo range but if you look at the 105 (lovely layout) just check out the bed width and decide whether it is large enough? If you don't mind going a bit bigger have a look at the Bailey Advance 66-2 which has been considerably improved over the original model.

David

Posted on 19/04/2018 07:31

however, neither gives an auto transmission.....

we don't really know which of the features are 'desrable' or must haves'..

the Stanton has all boxes ticked but is mightily expensive...which Q has mentioned...

if auto is important, then another brand could do the job, but it won't be a torque converter system.

the swift/AT layouts are close to the Stanton (and, IMHO) well up the ladder from the Accordo...but several cruises cheaper than the AS.

horses for course...

replied on 19/04/2018 08:11

Posted on 19/04/2018 08:11

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

young thomas replied on 19/04/2018 08:56

Posted on 19/04/2018 08:56

DD, would you have any feedback regarding the Comfortmatic 'box in your van?

obviously, Q will need to try one himself but user experience can also help 

MichaelT replied on 19/04/2018 10:21

Posted on 19/04/2018 08:56 by young thomas

DD, would you have any feedback regarding the Comfortmatic 'box in your van?

obviously, Q will need to try one himself but user experience can also help 

Posted on 19/04/2018 10:21

We have the Fiat Conformatic box and I would say overall we are very pleased with it.  We drive a VW with DSG box which is ultra smooth and not a real comparison, so would say the Fiat is lumpy from 1st to 2nd but the rest of the changes are pretty smooth and you hardly notice them.  It pulls well (we have 150hp engine), reasonably economic considering its pulling 3850kg.

It changes down well when slowing so helps with braking and the hill start feature is good if you need it.  You can utilise manual mode if yo like, have done it only a couple of times on steep hairpin bends.

Although I cannot compare it to a Merc I would say the Fiat is a staple white van designed for high mileage driving and overall are pretty reliable and I personally would not pay the premium for a Merc but would prefer to have the extra 2-3k in goodies on the van that will give more pleasure than an engine that will probably only do 6k miles a year.

Qashqai66 replied on 19/04/2018 11:39

Posted on 19/04/2018 11:39

Thank you so much to you all.  Those are all very helpful comments.

Interesting to read the comments from MichaelT with regard to Fiat Comfortmatic.

Our local dealer assured me that the Eldiss Accordo 120 cannot be supplied with the auto option which is an essential for us.  As drivers who love auto we are puzzled by the prevalence of manual.  I often remember that Rolls Royce and Bentley stopped offering manual gear boxes in, I think, 1948.  I would have been four years old but had an early fascination with motors so the information lodged in my mind although I was so young.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook