Choose which leisure battery

HamishT replied on 27/06/2020 16:36

Posted on 27/06/2020 16:36

Hello All!

I have to change the leisure battery in our Ducato-based Lunar Moonstar but am unsure which to choose amongst the baffling array available. For a long time a “Britmarine 6110DT” 12 volt 110a/h has been advertised in the club magazine at the good price of £99 delivered. Other makes seem much more expensive. 

We won’t be heavily dependent on the battery as we normally hook up or at least take regular drives whilst staying in the Motorhome. 

Does anyone have any experience of this battery or other helpful advice, please?

Thanks for reading this  

Hamish

Moderator Edit:

In accordance with our T&Cs, your upper case text has been amended.

Phishing replied on 28/06/2020 11:31

Posted on 28/06/2020 11:31

Hamish, given your requirements then a lead acid batter should do, you also have the option of a glass mat AGM, GEL, or even a LiOn but if you generally use a hookup and do not do deep discharge cycles then a lead acid is fine. If you do go off grid even occasionally then consider an AGM one the cost difference is not that big and it will last considerably longer if you do want to go off grid.

Its a personal choice but have a look at:

https://www.thencc.org.uk/Our_Schemes/ncc_verified_leisure_battery_scheme.aspx

This details the types and the quality and whilst no guarantee of longevity it gives you a good idea of what you get.

I ended up with a Leoch (DBS Energy) AGM type as it has good life-cycle numbers, competitive price, and available in my size. 

12 months on it still works, but then I expected that.

DavidKlyne replied on 28/06/2020 13:17

Posted on 28/06/2020 13:17

I have always tried to buy sealed Marine batteries for my caravans. I had one in my first motorhome but in my new motorhome I have a Banner battery. Don't really like batteries that you have to top up and if I need to change it, it will be for a Marine battery. I saw those in the magazine and was tempted but as the current battery is only just over a year old it would be a bit of an indulgence to change it!

David

HamishT replied on 30/06/2020 08:36

Posted on 30/06/2020 08:36

Thank you for the replies. I’ll press on and get a Britmarine battery.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook