Chausson 610 - Exhaust Filter at Limit

andywilliamsuk replied on 13/11/2022 16:10

Posted on 13/11/2022 16:10

Hi.  Apologies if this has been covered before - I did search the forum but couldn't see the topic.   So, we bought a Chausson Welcome 610 (16 plate with around 21,000 miles) back in July.   Done about 1200 miles on it so far and loving it.  Today we took it out to a local site (15 miles from home) to give it a bit of run.  On the way home today, engine seem very sluggish, no top end power, continually having to use low gear.  After a few miles driving the emissions light on dash came on, followed a bit further by 'Exhaust Filter at Limit, Drive to Clean'.

Being a bit of a newbie to motorhomes (but not caravanning) and from a bit of Googling, I can see the engine has effectively gone into 'limp home mode' with various suggestions that you need to take the van for a good hard run to clear the soot built up in the filter.  I was slightly surprised by that because we had only recently come back from Cornwall (I live in East Sussex), so the van has had plenty of recent motorway driving in last few weeks.    Is this a genuine fault and one I should get a mechanic to look at, or is it something that regularly occurs and simply needs a good drive to clear out the filter?  I'm reluctant to go too far at the moment in case something is failing and breaks down, but equally I don't want to put it into a dealer for servicing if it isn't a proper fault.

Seeking advice / guidance / opinions?

Tinwheeler replied on 13/11/2022 16:29

Posted on 13/11/2022 16:29

Give it a good hard drive and see what happens as this is what the alert is telling you to do. Your vehicle handbook may well give further details regarding appropriate gears and revs. All diesels with DPFs need a blast from time to time to burn off the deposits and it’s more to do with how it’s driven rather than speed alone.

I"m guessing your base vehicle is a Ford Transit and you may find more info on a Transit forum.

replied on 13/11/2022 16:40

Posted on 13/11/2022 16:40

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

andywilliamsuk replied on 15/11/2022 20:35

Posted on 15/11/2022 20:35

Thanks for the feedback.  Planning to take it out on Saturday for a run.   I've been told to drive in 3rd gear, above 2500rpm for at least 15 minutes.   Will let you know how it goes.

flatcoat replied on 28/11/2022 11:39

Posted on 28/11/2022 11:39

And use premium diesel such as Vpower or an additive such as Millers. All engines benefit from an Italian tune up every now and then, diesels especially so. 

andywilliamsuk replied on 30/11/2022 20:58

Posted on 30/11/2022 20:58

Hi.  Quick follow up post.   After a 40 min hard drive, the warning was extinguished.  But I did still have to use an OBD-II dongle to clear off the emission warning light.   All good now and I'll remember to give it a bit of harder run occasionally to keep the filter clear.   

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook