Car Hire

lonewheeler replied on 28/06/2018 22:02

Posted on 28/06/2018 22:02

we are new to motorhoming after many years of owning caravans. We do sometimes miss having a car at our disposal. We have considered towing a small car but there are obviously some drawbacks. 

Car hire is another option. Who else does this and what cost of say 3 days hire is considered reasonable? Who do you use?

huskydog replied on 28/06/2018 22:14

Posted on 28/06/2018 22:14

If you use Enterprise car hire you will get a discount for being a club member , if you go to their web site and do a dummy booking it will give you the cost of hiring 

Tinwheeler replied on 28/06/2018 22:16

Posted on 28/06/2018 22:16

We once hired a car on the Isle of Wight for 3 days. Although the club has organised a discount for members with Enterprise, we found small local companies tend to be cheaper. Our 3 days hire on IoW cost about £100 fully insured. It was an oldish car but fine for our needs. 

I consider that sort of price to be much more cost effective than buying a trailer or A-frame, or a car.

Since we swapped to a PVC we've had no need to hire so our experience is limited to that one occasion.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/membership/member-offers/car-hire-offer/

Tammygirl replied on 28/06/2018 22:32

Posted on 28/06/2018 22:32

Husky is right it does, however make sure you are sitting down when you do the dummy run as we found it very expensive compared to other rental companies.

We do tow a car on an A frame when in the UK if we think we will require it where we are going.

When abroad we just use our ebikes to get around but then it is easier across there as MH parking is usually catered for where ever you go.

DavidKlyne replied on 29/06/2018 00:40

Posted on 29/06/2018 00:40

Something we have thought about but never actually done it. We generally find we can find sites near to towns where we can walk or near to bus services, although a lot of bus services are being cut back at the moment. Usually our last resort is a taxi however costs vary a great deal depending on what part of the country you visit. We have just come back from the IOW and I can understand why you might hire a car there. On this occasion we stayed at East Cowes which was a relatively short walk to the bus and via Newport we had access to excellent bus services across the whole Island.

On your idea of an A-Frame for us that would mean changing our car from an automatic to manual (I know there are some exceptions) as we couldn't justify having two cars as I barely cover 3000 miles a year in the one I currently have!

David

peedee replied on 29/06/2018 07:33

Posted on 29/06/2018 07:33

I tow a semi automatic behind my motorhome on an A-Frame but only in the UK and if I think I can get away without it I much prefer to do this.

I have hired a car twice this year but on the Continent and the average cost has been £21 per day including collision waver insurance. One way of doing it cheaper, if you intend to hire regularly, is to buy your own annual collision waiver insurance. which you can get for about  £30 p.a.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook