Can you safely open your camper tailgate?

Failte replied on 19/03/2021 11:00

Posted on 19/03/2021 11:00

Having sold our 6 metre long, 3 metre high coachbuilt motorhome a few years back, our return to motorcaravaning, last July, in a Randger campervan, was a downsizing experience to which we are still adjusting.

The Randger is a pop top, based on a Fiat Talento van. Ours came with a bike rack already fitted to the tailgate to which we added a Fiamma Ultrabox. Even with the box empty, the tailgate struts became ineffective and getting to the boot area was a test of strength and flexibility to open and support the tailgate whilst reaching into the back of the van. The risk of serious injury from a free-falling tailgate meant that alternative support for the open tailgate was essential. I embarked on a search for updated gas struts but was unable to find any suitable for sale. So with a bit of thought and experimentation, I now have two supports fitted to the underside of the tailgate and I can, with more effort than I would like, open the tailgate, deploy the supports and work away in the boot.

My solution used a combination of an extending decorator's pole, bits of a swivelling mop head, a terry clip and a few screws. The whole assembly is something of a homage to Heath Robinson, but it works.

It would be more elegant to have gas struts with a higher Newton value fitted but the problem then might be that the test of strength and flexibility might arise when attempting to close rather than open the tailgate.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and managed to engineer a solution?

ABM replied on 01/04/2021 22:29

Posted on 01/04/2021 22:29

You could have avoided all that graft if you just had a six foot tall, flat headed spouse wink

AnnB replied on 02/04/2021 12:21

Posted on 01/04/2021 22:29 by ABM

You could have avoided all that graft if you just had a six foot tall, flat headed spouse wink

Posted on 02/04/2021 12:21

Well if she wasn’t flat-headed before she would be afterwards laughing

EmilysDad replied on 02/04/2021 13:53

Posted on 02/04/2021 13:53

how about SGS Engineering? I know they do gas struts that you can release some of the pressure ... they might have something suitable. Problem is that the gas struts won't know if the cycle carrier or Utrabox is full or empty.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook