Campervan Habitation

hitchglitch replied on 16/05/2020 07:35

Posted on 16/05/2020 07:35

A relative is considering buying a brand new VW California camper van (needed as part of his business) and has asked me about habitation checks. As this is essentially a habitation equipped commercial vehicle, factory built, is damp an issue and are regular damp checks needed? I presume that habitation checks are much the same as any motorhome but I am not sure that annual checks are required?

Justus2 replied on 16/05/2020 07:43

Posted on 16/05/2020 07:43

We have had our habitation service done annually mainly to comply with warranty conditions but also it is always wise to have electrical and gas installations checked for peace of mind as well as insurance considerations. From reading posts on the Auto-sleeper forum, as far as I can tell, damp in any panel van conversion although very rare, is not unknown, and can relate both to the original van manufacturers failings as well as errors by those who carried out the conversion.

hitchglitch replied on 16/05/2020 10:54

Posted on 16/05/2020 07:43 by Justus2

We have had our habitation service done annually mainly to comply with warranty conditions but also it is always wise to have electrical and gas installations checked for peace of mind as well as insurance considerations. From reading posts on the Auto-sleeper forum, as far as I can tell, damp in any panel van conversion although very rare, is not unknown, and can relate both to the original van manufacturers failings as well as errors by those who carried out the conversion.

Posted on 16/05/2020 10:54

Thanks for that. The VW is not quite a “conversion” in the sense that it is factory assembled by the original manufacturer but I take your point.

Wild Roamer replied on 26/05/2020 18:04

Posted on 26/05/2020 18:04

I think that most would agree that whilst Campervan's, PVC's and Monocoque Coach Built's may be less prone to water ingress issues we need to remember that any window or other openings including an elevating roof can be a point of water ingress and we would also do well to remember that condensation can lead to significant damage to woodwork and fittings if not kept in check. 

A habitation service helps identify these issues before serious and expensive damage is done.

Plus a record of annual habitation checks will preserve the vehicles residual value and make it easier to sell when the time comes.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook