Calor to refillable gas conversion

MirandaExtravaganza replied on 05/06/2019 12:19

Posted on 05/06/2019 12:19

Hello!

So, I've just made the leap and bought my first ever motorhome! It's with the aim of living fulltime, so am considering converting to refillable gas.

I know there are various systems, and eventually I'd like to tour around Europe as well as the UK, so does anyone have a preference to which one they would go for? Do they all take the same gas?

There are many, MAAAANY threads from throughout the years on this subject so I'm asking to get some more up-to-date advice, and just in a really nice and simple way that a newbie like me can understand sealed

And is there anyone who can do it in the London/Middlesex area? Am happy to travel further afield too, but any recommendations would be great!

Thanks!

MichaelT replied on 05/06/2019 15:21

Posted on 05/06/2019 15:21

They all take the same gas you buy at the petrol station.  We have 1 11kg Gas Lowand a Calor Lite as backup  some have under slung tanks and all depends on your van and how much gas you can/want to carry.

MichaelT replied on 05/06/2019 19:56

Posted on 05/06/2019 19:08 by Johnny57

Hi MirandaExtravaganza. Have a look at Safefil cylinders
http://www.safefill.co.uk/

Posted on 05/06/2019 19:56

Not sure but can you fit a filler with Safefill so you can fill from the outside.  Many places abroad and here will not allow you to fill direct it has to be via a fixed filling point hence I would go Gaslow, Alugas or an under slung tank.

Merve replied on 05/06/2019 20:04

Posted on 05/06/2019 20:04

From the tone of your post Miranda, it would appear that you are probably talking about a ‘fixed’ system. Gaslow or Alugas. They all take the same gas- propane-  Main dealers are sometimes qualified to fit the systems but you should certainly be able to find someone to fit it in your area. If you decide that it’s a non fixed system you want, then you’ll do no better than Safefill for weight and ease of filling etc. They do supply various adaptations for various countries but note comment above.  I think that the transfer from rental cylinders to refillables is a no brainier- as long as you are going to use them. In other words, if, like some, it takes you 3 yrs to empty a 6kg cylinder, then you are probably best to stick with rentals. Being permanently offgrid, I use plenty of gas which makes refillables the ONLY choice. They have saved me a small fortune since 2013.!!  A good solar array and inverter  is a good partner for the refillables too-  - you are not dependant on the EHU then. 

QFour replied on 05/06/2019 22:56

Posted on 05/06/2019 22:56

Autogas 2000 have everything you need. They will even fit them for you if you want. They also have their own webshop. Most of the cylinders come from the same place they just paint them different colours. For filling in Europe you need some adaptors. Don't know how you would get on trying to fill a Safefill Cylinder abroad.

young thomas replied on 06/06/2019 08:01

Posted on 06/06/2019 08:01

agree, in a MH forget about Safefill.....this is a refillable system that is portable (mainly used by caravanners, taken to the gas point in a car) and that is its advantage but also its disadvantage in that many garages don't allow the filling of non fixed systems.

also ensure your filler is external, not inside the locker (garages don't like theses) nor on the locker door as it can put pressure on the pipe fittings when regularly opened and closed.

autogas 2000, Alugas or Gaslow will essentially be the same system.

if your locker is large enough, I would suggest an 11kg bottle, or even two.

we have one 11kg Gaslow and a 2nd pigtail for local continental bottles in emergencies.

you'll need a set of continental adaptors as pumps are different in France, Spain etc... 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook