Buying privately

fredriley replied on 07/04/2018 19:21

Posted on 07/04/2018 19:21

Hi all

I'm looking to buy a van conversion just for myself, but dealership prices go from £25k upwards to £45k+ which makes me blanche. I know that dealers have whopping markups as I sold my old Chausson Welcome to a local dealer for £14k last year and I know that they had it on the market for about £20k. Which is fair enough - they've a living to make and people to keep in work. I'd like to look at private offerings, though, and avoid dodgy sites like eBay and Gumtree, so:

a) can folk here suggest websites or fora where you can find private sellers?

b) what precautions/checks would folk recommend before buying privately?

I did have my Chausson for a few good years but it was an awful tank to drive and my partner was never really into motorhoming, so it was pointless keeping it. I'd like to take trips to the Highlands on my own in a vehicle that's driveable on single-track roads, hence the desire for a van conversion, but I don't want it to cost an arm and a leg and an internal organ.

Cheers

Fred

Thornsett replied on 16/04/2018 09:58

Posted on 16/04/2018 09:58

This post has just appeared as the 'Motorhome Last Post'. Don't know where it's been or whether it has been answered. Auto Trader do a good guide:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/motorhomes/content/motorhome-buyers-guide

Might be worth getting the gas and habitation electrics checked by an engineer from the MCEA. You have to watch out for scammers especially if it's too cheap, beware. I'd search the web to see whether the van you want is being offered at different locations.

Tinwheeler replied on 16/04/2018 13:06

Posted on 16/04/2018 13:06

Buying privately is a minefield.

That's good advice from Aspenshaw and you could also try Caravanfinder.

http://www.caravanfinder.co.uk/motorhomes.html

Don't forget that one reason dealers need a mark up is to cover their warranty liability which is something you won’t have if you buy privately. That’s a two edged sword.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook