Britstops

mickysf replied on 21/12/2023 21:05

Posted on 21/12/2023 21:05

An acquaintance has just suggested joining Britstops, I know nothing at all about them.Does anyone have experience, recommendations or reservations about this group?

mickysf replied on 21/12/2023 22:16

Posted on 21/12/2023 22:16

Thanks, I have found that but do any fellow CTers have any personal experience, that was the question? I’d value thoughts and opinions!

Tinwheeler replied on 21/12/2023 22:57

Posted on 21/12/2023 22:57

You said you knew nothing at all about them, Micky😂😂

No, sorry, I’ve never used them but I see some pubs in this area with MHs overnighting. As with conventional sites, some look better than others. 

peedee replied on 22/12/2023 07:15

Posted on 22/12/2023 07:15

I joined for a year with the intention of using them but never did, The reason was two fold. Firstly the majority were pub sites and secondy many could not accommodate larger motorhomes. My conclusion was Britstops was largely for smaller outfits with very few sites suitable for larger outfits so I did not renew. My thoughts were further compounded by there being many alternatives, as shown by search4sites, where no membership is required.

peedee

mickysf replied on 22/12/2023 08:59

Posted on 21/12/2023 22:57 by Tinwheeler

You said you knew nothing at all about them, Micky😂😂

No, sorry, I’ve never used them but I see some pubs in this area with MHs overnighting. As with conventional sites, some look better than others. 

Posted on 22/12/2023 08:59

Thanks both, TW & PD, apart from their existence I knew nothing about them. I’d only need the likes whilst in transit between home and intended destinations or if a site is not close to a desired area. May be only a couple or so times a season. Can you use their pubs and alike if not a member? Are their discounts for being a member? What is considered a larger motorhome to be, mines 6.2m long?

JimE replied on 22/12/2023 09:08

Posted on 22/12/2023 09:08

I think the main requirement to use Britstops would be a good turning circle for your MH as, in my experience, many pub car parks are quite congested.

Rightly or wrongly, I don't think many would suit my 7.3m MH as whenever I have looked at them on Street View, access is usually a bit too tight for comfort. 

LLM replied on 22/12/2023 10:11

Posted on 22/12/2023 10:11

Our RV is somewhat longer than 7.3m.  In the past we have used BritStops extensively and only once found a problem with congestion.  We do of course try to arrive and depart at less busy times. 

In addition to BritStops we have found that most landlords will allow you to overnight for a small sum or if you eat on the premises.   

Shivas dad replied on 22/12/2023 13:32

Posted on 22/12/2023 13:32

Hi, I've been a Britstop member for 6 years I think. We've used numerous stops at pubs, but recently the original owners sold it to an American concern.  Previously we got a book each year, the idea being you showed your book at a stop to verify member ship.  The book covers the UK, places such as pubs, vineyards, farm shops etc where the are happy to let you stay overnight. Recent changes mean it is now going digital, so no book, plus the cost increase although new members get a 30% discount.  The cost this year will be £44.  Also alot of Britstop hosts will allow stopovers if you are not a Britstopper, they do not have to be exclusive for Britstops, they are their own business after all.  Being a Britstop member is not like being in the CAMC, where you get discount site fees or access to CL's for you mebership, you used to get a book and that was it, now it's an app.

Bearing this all in mind I will not renew my membership as I can get a similar, possibly better (and much cheaper) option from Search 4 sites, which is only a phone app, but in additon to listing pubs etc., also lists day and overnight parking locations, LPG fill up points, as well as campsites (including CAMC and C&CC).  There are also reviews locations which are useful. I have also found that if you want to stay overnight at a pub, just asking when you book for a meal, I have never been refused.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook