Breakdown cover

outinthesticks replied on 01/06/2022 13:06

Posted on 01/06/2022 13:06

The breakdown cover with the warranty on my motorhome will expire soon and I'm looking around for cover. The Club's Mayday policy seems relatively reasonable compared to other providers but I wondered if I'm overlooking anything? Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated, thank you in advance.

Tinwheeler replied on 01/06/2022 13:15

Posted on 01/06/2022 13:15

You don’t say what size your MH is but the two market leaders for caravans and longer MHs over 3500kg are Mayday and RAC Arrival. Others are available but you need to study the conditions.

Randomcamper replied on 01/06/2022 17:21

Posted on 01/06/2022 17:21

I don't know if you tow a trailer behind your MH ?   As I understand it, and I hope I am right, Mayday will assist with a trailer issue (eg wheel bearing) that you may be towing, whereas some breakdown policies only cover the van.  And as TW says above, they will cover any weight of van, I struggled to find anyone else prepared to quote on a van even at 3500kg.....

Wherenext replied on 01/06/2022 18:31

Posted on 01/06/2022 18:31

Nationwide Flex Plus cover provides cover for Motorhomes up to 8 metres in length and trailers attached to the vehicle. My renewal of the policy hasn't come around yet and they have changed supplier to the AA from LV= but I assuming that policy terms for this will remain unaltered.

Doesn't affect us as we are caravanners but might help if you have such an account.

eurortraveller replied on 01/06/2022 19:22

Posted on 01/06/2022 13:06 by outinthesticks

The breakdown cover with the warranty on my motorhome will expire soon and I'm looking around for cover. The Club's Mayday policy seems relatively reasonable compared to other providers but I wondered if I'm overlooking anything? Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated, thank you in advance.

Posted on 01/06/2022 19:22

Who is your annual motorhome insurance with? Do they not offer a package including breakdown/ recovery with it? For example many motorhome owners insure their vehicles with a company called Comfort (it’s an Aviva policy)  and include breakdown /recovery at the same time as part of that policy.

SteveL replied on 01/06/2022 20:48

Posted on 01/06/2022 20:48

What you go for could be determined by what other vehicles you want to cover. The Mayday policy we opted for covers our MH as the primary vehicle and either of us to the same level in any other vehicle. Therefore covering us in our two cars. I took out the comfort cover for the first year but by the time I paid for two cars with another provider, it worked out more expensive. Also although I was happy with the limits on European cover, those on for the Uk didn’t look adequate to recover it from the north of Scotland. However, that was a few years ago and may have changed.

Kasspa replied on 05/06/2022 17:19

Posted on 01/06/2022 19:22 by eurortraveller

Who is your annual motorhome insurance with? Do they not offer a package including breakdown/ recovery with it? For example many motorhome owners insure their vehicles with a company called Comfort (it’s an Aviva policy)  and include breakdown /recovery at the same time as part of that policy.

Posted on 05/06/2022 17:19

Breakdown cover with Comfort Insurance is an optional add-on but is very competitively priced & well worth looking in to..... my Fiat Warranty expires before my insurance renewal so I have both that overlap until October.....

Tammygirl replied on 08/06/2022 14:38

Posted on 01/06/2022 17:21 by Randomcamper

I don't know if you tow a trailer behind your MH ?   As I understand it, and I hope I am right, Mayday will assist with a trailer issue (eg wheel bearing) that you may be towing, whereas some breakdown policies only cover the van.  And as TW says above, they will cover any weight of van, I struggled to find anyone else prepared to quote on a van even at 3500kg.....

Posted on 08/06/2022 14:38

This is correct, didn't used to be the case and in fact it's the reason why we stopped taking out Red Pennant and Mayday. 

At one time we did tow a trailer behind our MH but on finding it wasn't fully covered we went elsewhere, good to see they have had a change of policy. I did write and complain at the time as if the trailer was a caravan it would have been fully covered. 

We now don't tow a trailer but we do have a Nationwide Flex Plus account, so all our vehicles 2 cars, MH and caravan) are COVERED, both in the UK and abroad. As WN said up thread it changed this year from Britannia, now its the AA. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook