Bike Rack

Doorguy replied on 23/05/2017 19:34

Posted on 23/05/2017 19:34

Hi 

Very new to to motorhome club,but need some help ,i have recently bought a elddis 196

just 2 months old ,i want to fit a bike rack can any body tell me where i can see a picture of bike rack to see how far goes across the window ,i have tried elddis  but no joy have tried various dealers still no joy is there anybody out ther who has a 196 with bike rack

ps hope some can help

JVB66 replied on 23/05/2017 19:55

Posted on 23/05/2017 19:55

Welcome to the caravan and motor caravan clubwink i think a look on line at the Fiamma or Thule websites may help  

young thomas replied on 23/05/2017 21:55

Posted on 23/05/2017 21:55

just a word about weight (payload).....

take the Elddis website figures with around a kilo of salt as they (almost certainly) devoid of water and any extras you have.

this is a 6 berth van, how many of you will be travelling, do ypu know their weights as none (bar the driver) is included.

this leads on to bikes....how many? any electric, much heavier...

this van already has a sizeable rear overhang, any extension to this (rack plus bikes) will magnify the weight on the rear axle, which will certainly go over its limit (2000 kg) before you reach the MTPLM (3500 kg) assuming you havent upgraded....which will only increase the MTPLM NOT the allowance on the rear axle.

so, while absolute payload 'might' not be exceeded, have your van weighed (fully loaded with water, all people, clothes, camping gear, food, etc) and pay particular attention to the free weight (if any) on the rear axle.

a (say) 20kg bike rack/fittings and four bikes (well, its a six berth....so kids....) will weigh around 70-80kg.

having this weight slung way out beyond the rear axle will add over 100kg to the rear axle loading.....you may or may not have this amount to spare......so, i would weigh the van before getting the rack.....

i hope you dont have a nasty surprise, but this is exactly the type of van that is a nightmare to run at 3500kg.....

good luck.

peedee replied on 24/05/2017 11:27

Posted on 24/05/2017 11:27

You can always consider a rack that fits on a towball but do take into account your payload.

peedee

Randomcamper replied on 24/05/2017 11:53

Posted on 24/05/2017 11:53

I think I would prefer the type of bike rack -( mounted to a towbar) that Peedee has shown........that photo that Hillclimb links to has the top mount bolted just above a wide rear window. From an engineering point of view it must be difficult to provide a reinforced mounting point there for four bikes (80kg), on a lightweight vehicle where the long overhang will only serve to exagerate any up and down bouncing etc......

young thomas replied on 24/05/2017 12:55

Posted on 24/05/2017 12:55

remember, a tow ball mounted rack is, in itself a sturdy (read heavy) unit but also needs a towbar and ball to fit to, so even more weight to consider.

Larger vans on 'heavy' platforms (like Peedee's) have far more payload to play with....six berth 3.5t MTPLM vans need all the help they can get.

peedee replied on 24/05/2017 13:50

Posted on 24/05/2017 13:50

Don't disagree BB but they are far more flexible pieces of kit than a fixed bike rack and the new ones are much lighter than the one I have. If I was pushed for payload and could fit a towbar, the other option is to tow a trailer. This is effectively what I do when towing a car, some gear goes in the car!

peedee

young thomas replied on 24/05/2017 14:34

Posted on 24/05/2017 14:34

ues, my pal has one that Id describe as 'sturdy' but the latest Thule models are much better.

another alternative (depending on chassis compatibility) is the latest 'slide in' AlKo model (cant remember the name) but just makes use of any existing chassis extensions, no tow bar/ball, no drilling back panels, and can fold upright when not in use.

if i didnt have a garage, Id think about one of these.

peegeenine replied on 24/05/2017 16:15

Posted on 24/05/2017 16:15

I used to use a tow bar mounted bike rack on my previous van and think they are a good option as it is low and so easy to put the bikes on. However, not much point if your MH doesn't have a tow bar and no point in fitting one just to accommodate a bike rack. (Mines for sale by the waywink).
As BB says, check out the Al-Ko chassis rack as an alternative, Sawiko I think.
As far as I am aware, the maximum load on all rear wall mounted bike racks is 60kg, regardless of number of bikes.
BBs warning about rear axle loading is very important. With my current 3500kg Bolero, if I choose to go with 2 bikes then I can only carry enough water for a cup of tea, and there's only 2 of us and a cat!( the cat doesn't ride a bike)

Randomcamper replied on 24/05/2017 16:58

Posted on 24/05/2017 16:58

As far as I am aware, the maximum load on all rear wall mounted bike racks is 60kg, regardless of number of bikes.

http://www.elddis.co.uk/documents/Handbooks/2017/2017-Autoquest-Handbook.pdf

I assume the weight varies from one van to the next Peegenine, even Elddis say a max of 75kgs on the rack, plus presumably the weight of the rack?  ( section 3-2)......wink

My point that those sort of weights are around the weight of a grown man, suspended off the back of the van, bouncing up and down for mile after mile. Any flexing of the mounting points as the van ages and sealants etc dry out may cause hairline cracks and then the inevitable damp.  Given that the only way to strengthen the top mounting position on the 195/6 would appear to  be a substantial width ways "girder" mounted at the sides to what exactly I dont really know, I would prefer something mounted to the chassis.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook