Bike Rack Recommendations

ScottPente replied on 03/08/2018 12:29

Posted on 03/08/2018 12:29

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on fixing a bike rack to my Talbot Pilote camper. So far I have tried fixing a rack onto the ladder at the back of our van which wasn't suitable, and also a Carry Bike Pro C which had too much overhang on the passenger side (it was level with the wing mirror which I wasn't comfortable with), so now I am looking at other options. 

Has anyone had any similar issues to this, and do you have any suggestions as to what we could do? As shown on the pictures, there are two rear windows so it's tricky sticking a permanent fixture in a central position between them. 

Are there any other bike racks I could use, or has anybody got any experience of adding a tow bar or something onto the metal bumper? 

Appreciate any suggestions you guys have.

Thanks

Scott and Vicki

Takethedogalong replied on 03/08/2018 12:33

Posted on 03/08/2018 12:33

Take a look at Fiamma or Thule products, you might find something suitable there. We have a Fiamma rack on our Autosleeper. It does restrict how far we can open rear window, but that isn't an issue for us. It will also take a Fiamma carry box as well, instead of bikes. No idea of price or fitting, ours came with the MH!

ScottPente replied on 03/08/2018 12:48

Posted on 03/08/2018 12:48

Thanks takethedogalong.

I actually bought a Carry Bike Pro C bike rack, but there was overhang (approx in line with our wing mirror) so I was worried it could be a problem should we need to squeeze through a tight gap!

DavidKlyne replied on 03/08/2018 13:08

Posted on 03/08/2018 13:08

Looking at your picture am I right in thinking the ladder half folds up? If so there are a number of chassis mounted cycle racks on sale now that you might be able to make use of, however they are not cheap! Here are a few on offer from Road Pro 

We have a Fiamma Carry Bike on our Bailey and as you can see from the photo they are just about within the confines of the motorhome width. Bailey motorhomes are generally wider that many makes so some overhang might be necessary on a narrower motorhome.

David

JVB66 replied on 03/08/2018 13:34

Posted on 03/08/2018 13:34

Have you thought about fitting a tow bar and useing a tow bar mounted rack, so no added stress on body panels 

Kontikiboy replied on 04/08/2018 10:37

Posted on 04/08/2018 10:37

Modern motorhomes are built with added strength and fittings at the build stage to enable them to have a bike rack fitted and the OEM will issue a weight limit, as will the bike rack OEM.     You need to be mindful of the weight you are considering placing on the rear panel of your van.     I would consider a non-type approved tow bar and a tow bar mounted bike rack, but even then, you need to think about the weight on your rear axle.

BillC

ocsid replied on 04/08/2018 11:09

Posted on 04/08/2018 11:09

Have you considered mounting the bikes without the front wheel in place to significantly reduce the "span"?

Front wheels are readily removable if fitted with quick release spindles, a tad more if having to use spanners, but easily converted to quick release if wished.

Then all that is needed is to buy and mount a front fork clamp to the conventional tray of a wheeled carrier, using one of these for example:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Delta-Bike-Hitch-Pro-In-Car-Rack_46651.htm?sku=122187&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&mkwid=sjlJhcitN_dc|pcrid|43133749973|product|122187|&pgrid=12317363333&ptaid=aud-264756372667:pla-80805064493&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnZXbBRC8ARIsABEYg6BzsWQsDtrrBaqJa_F3Vcly2r-LzFU94ZCcfMDyJYFqtLbVaHrii-oaAp4dEALw_wcB

The removed wheel or wheels if carrying two bikes can often simply be held with a bungee cord or strap, or two.

I carry ours this way but in my case within my vehicle. It is a very solid way of holding them, and reduces the height of them and the lift.

Sorry I don't understand doing active "links".

Or you can buy whole new trays designed for roof racks that feature this type of front fork fixing, though a great deal more expensively than as suggested.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook