Best way to tow a scooter on a ducato van

carol and kev replied on 12/06/2019 09:02

Posted on 12/06/2019 09:02

Hi 

We are about to be the proud owners of a Ducato Van motorhome and would like some advice on towing a scooter.  We have looked at a tow bar and towing one from the rear but we are really interested in one of these platform style fixed trailers which hooks off the back of the van.  Any comments, suggestions or observations would be brill 

Many thanks

Kev and Carol

SteveL replied on 12/06/2019 09:47

Posted on 12/06/2019 09:47

The weight of the tow bar, if you go down that route, will have to be considered in how it affects your payload. If you were towing a car, clearly you could compensate by using the vehicle for some items. Not so easy with a scooter.

As to the hook on type, you would have to consider if it would overload the rear axle, as well as possibly exceed your payload.

On our. MH the tow bar option would be 67kg, the motor bike rack alone 57kg, plus of course the bike / scooter itself.

JVB66 replied on 12/06/2019 10:04

Posted on 12/06/2019 09:47 by SteveL

The weight of the tow bar, if you go down that route, will have to be considered in how it affects your payload. If you were towing a car, clearly you could compensate by using the vehicle for some items. Not so easy with a scooter.

As to the hook on type, you would have to consider if it would overload the rear axle, as well as possibly exceed your payload.

On our. MH the tow bar option would be 67kg, the motor bike rack alone 57kg, plus of course the bike / scooter itself.

Posted on 12/06/2019 10:04

Oh the long past (for us) of worrying about pay loads,cool

Our support vehicle is there for the extra, wink

Some friends of ours use their on the A frame car for add "essentials "surprised

ocsid replied on 12/06/2019 14:34

Posted on 12/06/2019 14:34

As already pointed out the issues that need resolving are payload, and probably more critically the impact on the rear axles loading.

Whilst the payload is a simple sum the addition to the rear axle loading issue will be greater than the scooter plus carriers added weight. 

Here the scooter etc is cantilevered beyond the vehicle effectively on a lever arm pivoting about the front axle. So the weight that gets added to the rear axle is the kit weight multiplied by its distance to the front axle, divided by the wheel base.

With the long overhangs frequently encountered on MHs this can significantly magnify the rear axle loading, way above the actual weight added. It similarly reduces the front axle load, but that is not always a bonus.

It can be doable in certain cases, but needs a bit of homework to know if your equipment falls into that option.

WK57ABF replied on 12/06/2019 15:14

Posted on 12/06/2019 15:14

H carol and kev - I'm not familiar with your motorhome but this is how we carry ours, very safe and stable.

The bike has been positioned on the trailer so that there is a minimum of hitch weight, the trailer folds up when not in use and takes up very little space.

John

young thomas replied on 12/06/2019 15:40

Posted on 12/06/2019 10:04 by JVB66

Oh the long past (for us) of worrying about pay loads,cool

Our support vehicle is there for the extra, wink

Some friends of ours use their on the A frame car for add "essentials "surprised

Posted on 12/06/2019 15:40

funnily enough, I though there was a thread about caravans having no payload...?

ill bet some get to the point where the towcar (support vehiclewink) is being overloaded as there's nowhere else to put things.

some probably don't even realise the tow car has a maximum weight and will certainly never have weighed it full, especially those with several large children and all the extra associated stuff.

JVB66 replied on 12/06/2019 15:49

Posted on 12/06/2019 15:40 by young thomas

funnily enough, I though there was a thread about caravans having no payload...?

ill bet some get to the point where the towcar (support vehiclewink) is being overloaded as there's nowhere else to put things.

some probably don't even realise the tow car has a maximum weight and will certainly never have weighed it full, especially those with several large children and all the extra associated stuff.

Posted on 12/06/2019 15:49

I have questioned their "extra load"in their car, and the reply was in Gaelic ie the  shrug surprised

Randomcamper replied on 13/06/2019 21:08

Posted on 13/06/2019 21:08

K & C

We use a purpose built trailer, which takes either our motorbike or scooter.

Picture shows us with scooter on a recent trip to Scotland, resting at Shap summit....

WK57ABF replied on 16/06/2019 08:36

Posted on 16/06/2019 08:06 by cyberyacht

Apart from the "fun factor", why would you tow a motorbike on a trailer when you have a demountable?

Posted on 16/06/2019 08:36

Not sure I understand your post.  I tow a motorcycle because I'm a motorcyclist - how else can I carry my bike?

John

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook