Bessacarr door lock

BJCJ replied on 06/09/2021 13:13

Posted on 06/09/2021 13:13

I have a 2004 Bessacarr e445. Sadly, she's getting to an age where bits are wearing out. For example, the lock on the habitation door can no longer be operated by the key. A small plastic component has worn away. My local dealer is quoting nearly £200 to replace the lock. So, I'm hoping you kind fellow motorhomers can answer some questions.

Anyone know who makes these locks? On an internal component the letters PLAST2 are engraved.

Anyone have the phone number for Swift/Bessacarr spares? Googling just produces pages of dealers rather than Swift itself.

Anyone able to recommend a breakers who strip Bessacarrs?

Tinwheeler replied on 06/09/2021 13:30

Posted on 06/09/2021 13:30

Your door lock will not be specific to a Bessacarr, which is a rebadged Swift, or even to the Swift brand in general. I'd not expect a lock from a breaker to be in any better condition than your own, tbh.

Instead, take a look around the accessory shops and select a lock that will do the job and which you can then fit yourself. 

Navigateur replied on 06/09/2021 14:03

Posted on 06/09/2021 14:03

I don't use the original lock on the access door.  It is far too easy to open it with a screwdriver.  Instead I have fitted a far more secure lock made by Milenco that fits outside the door.

BJCJ replied on 06/09/2021 15:20

Posted on 06/09/2021 15:20

Thanks for the responses. I realised that Swift wouldn't supply me direct, but I hoped someone there could tell me the maker of the lock. Agree about the need for a sturdier lock and I also have a Milenco exterior lock, but we have to use the interior lock to lock the door from the inside and I don't want it falling apart. It's a big lock - bigger than other new ones I've seen and replacing it with a smaller one will leave me with unsightly holes.

JVB66 replied on 06/09/2021 15:57

Posted on 06/09/2021 15:57

We do not rely on our LVs lock when inside at night we have a hook and eye ,for night time use,   easy to fit  ,and did not need any   even slight mid to body workwink

When using after market outside locks or handles how many ensure when Inside your LV that the outside handle or lock is locked in the clear position

Navigateur replied on 06/09/2021 16:23

Posted on 06/09/2021 16:23

When using after market outside locks or handles how many ensure when Inside your LV that the outside handle or lock is locked in the clear position

It is most important to have an obsession to lock the lock in the open position!  Perhaps not so much because some clever-cloggs could come along in the night and lock the lock closed (I could drop the window in the door to unlock if necessary) but to ensure that one is in posession of the key when locking after leaving.  It is a high security lock after all!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook