Battery conversion

AuScot replied on 01/11/2021 19:16

Posted on 01/11/2021 19:16

Not sure if this has been asked before.  Has anybody Converted their Motorhome from diesel to battery?  If so, how much did it cost?  Who carried out the work. Asking, because we'll not have our diesels forever. 

JVB66 replied on 02/11/2021 09:35

Posted on 02/11/2021 09:35

I very much think before ice vehicles are off the road your diesel would be have been confined to the scrap yardwink

young thomas replied on 02/11/2021 09:44

Posted on 02/11/2021 09:44

In short...mega bucks....don't even think about it.

'everything' is different....many motorhomes don't have enough storage or payload for a few sweaters let alone the massive battery bank you'll need...plus, plus, plus....

just enjoy your van...the only date looming is for the stopping of sales of new diesel vehicles not the use of current ones....

AuScot replied on 02/11/2021 19:45

Posted on 02/11/2021 19:45

Thank you for your replies.  Just trying to get myself a greener plan.  Probably better then to sell and buy a newer model than my 2005 Cusona 954.

Another DaveB replied on 04/11/2021 09:11

Posted on 04/11/2021 09:11

Yep, as with most equipment, whether a phone, a washing machine, a boiler or a motorhome, the "greenest" plan is to continue using what you've already bought, not scrap it & start again purely on the basis of energy usage. There's far too much going to landfill as it is, and even recoverable/reusable materials cost resources to recover/reuse.

And don't forget that you will have to choose a compromise somewhere on the scale between a battery+motor that simply replaces the weight of engine+fuel tank (but only gets you about 50 miles at a time) and a battery giving you 500 miles range (but will probably need most of your 3.5t towing capacity to cart around).

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook