Bailey Motorhomes

Natasha2 replied on 21/11/2016 16:01

Posted on 21/11/2016 16:01

We are still looking at motorhomes and although we had not previously considered a Bailey because of the extra width, one has come for sale locally that we like the look of. 

Interested in the views of other Bailey owners regarding these wider motorhomes - do you find this extra width restrictive in any way.  

Also a question for  'Tammygirl' who I believe has the same model that we like. Is the payload sufficient? 

MichaelT replied on 21/11/2016 16:18

Posted on 21/11/2016 16:18

There is another thread on this subject already so you may want to search however the widest part of any MH is the wing mirrors and they are standard on any base vehicle...

JVB66 replied on 21/11/2016 17:48

Posted on 21/11/2016 17:48

We have friends with a Bailey m/van and the width is not noticable when i have driven it,

Ps M T  there are different length arms for wing mirrors available for the sevel base vehicle 

Tammygirl replied on 21/11/2016 19:18

Posted on 21/11/2016 19:18

Hi Natasha, first we live in a scottish village off the main A9 the roads are not very wide but I haven't had  a problem  driving our Bailey 625SE yet! (is that the same one you are looking at)

As to the pay load it is more than sufficient in that model, we travel for up to 12 weeks twice a year to Spain/France. There is more locker space than you first think and under the beds has more room than we first thought, although we don't store our bedding there.

When we first got it we took it to the weigh bridge once we had it fully loaded, full fuel, full water, 2 gas bottles, food, clothes etc. + 2 full sized ebikes on the rack at the rear of the van. We also have a Fiamma and a PWS towbar fitted we were still under the weight permissable. We don't travel with full fresh water just wanted to push it to see.

Hope this helps if you need anything else just ask.Smile

DavidKlyne replied on 21/11/2016 20:22

Posted on 21/11/2016 20:22

Natasha

We have a Bailey 740 which is a bit longer than the 625 but the same width. Ours is a 2013 registration. I must admit the width did concern me initially but having now driven it over 16000 miles I tend not to give it a second thought. Obviously if you travel on very narrow roads you have to take it easy. On the Bailey Motorhome Facebook group a lot of owners seem to do the North Coast 500 which from watching a video on YouTube does not seem that wide in places but they manage. I take the view that if the local bus can get through so can I!!! We were once heading for the Lewes bypass but because of an accident had to route through the town. That was a bit scary being sensible about allowing people through coming the other way we managed without mishap fortunately.

David

Apperley replied on 21/11/2016 20:53

Posted on 21/11/2016 20:53

David is right, the widest part are the long arm mirrors. The extra width inside on the Bailey is worth it. Yes you have to be careful, and it is also worth doing careful route planning, even looking at streetview for the last 500 yards of your journey. As David also says, you are in no rush, let the oncoming traffic come through and then proceed. We like our Bailey and to be honest have had no width problems.

QFour replied on 21/11/2016 22:24

Posted on 21/11/2016 22:24

As with all Second Hand vehicles make sure it has all it's paperwork signed and dated. If not walk away. You may finish up without any water ingress warantee because it's not been checked properly. If it's a Dealer don't take his ward for it that it's all ok. As with all British MH's they MUST have a habitation check as well as a water Ingress check. Just more money for the Dealer. The European ones only need  a water Ingress check at considerably cheaper price.

Natasha2 replied on 21/11/2016 22:30

Posted on 21/11/2016 22:30

Yes Tammygirl the 625SE. Not seen one in the flesh yet, in fact very few for sale in the country.  There is one about 45 miles from us so will pop over asap to have a look.

Interested to hear where you store bedding!!

QFour replied on 22/11/2016 08:10

Posted on 22/11/2016 08:10

Looks like a caravan behind the cab. The cab seats are redundant when you arrive anywhere. Where do you put a table. As for bedding. In the front when you are in the back or in the back when you are in the front,

DavidKlyne replied on 22/11/2016 08:46

Posted on 22/11/2016 08:46

The extra width does give a feeling of spaciousness. With our last caravan I could sit on one settee and put my feet on the settee opposite but I can't do that in our motorhome because because the edge is too far away, either that or I have got shorter as I have got olderWink

David

Apperley replied on 22/11/2016 09:56

Posted on 22/11/2016 09:56

Looks like a caravan behind the cab. The cab seats are redundant when you arrive anywhere. Where do you put a table. As for bedding. In the front when you are in the back or in the back when you are in the front,

Hi QFour, as with most motorhomes the cab seats turn right round 180 degrees and become part of the habitation area. I use mine in my Bailey a lot. The table will either be free standing, or clips to the side wall depending on the model. Ours is the latter and works well. There is no problem with bedding. Ours has a fixed rear french bed, the bedding stays on that, spare bedding, including a quilt for guests goes under the side bench seat with room for other things too under the bench. We like the Bailey, well designed and caters for the British market with good sized kitchen and good sized bathrom & shower. Some A class models at twice the price of the Bailey have a much smaller shower, some are almost unusable for the larger person.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook