Bailey Autograph water pump

Pembers replied on 01/03/2021 15:30

Posted on 01/03/2021 15:30

Getting my Bailey Autograph ready for new season. I had drained all water over winter & left taps open. I have refilled fresh tank via hose pipe. Switching on power. Switched on pump. All taps closed. Pump runs and runs without stopping. Why? I am worried about doing damage if left running too long. Will the pump turn off eventually? Is there a problem? Air lock? Any help & advice gratefully accepted.

DavidKlyne replied on 01/03/2021 21:01

Posted on 01/03/2021 21:01

It does sometimes take a while to refill the hot water tank. Whilst the pump is running have you opened the taps to see if there is any water coming through. If you are getting water through you may find running water through the taps clears some of the air. If there is no water coming from the taps it does indicate there is an air block in the system. If you have a submersible pump in the tank (I am not sure if the Autograph range carried on the stand alone pumps use in the Approach range or whether they changed to submersible?)  it's probably at the point where the water supply pipe exits on top of the tank. If it is a submersible you have probably got a pressure switch somewhere down by the tank which can be adjusted by the screw top on the switch. You may find instructions in you handbook on how to do this.

David

Apperley replied on 03/03/2021 08:05

Posted on 03/03/2021 08:05

Hi Pembers, it’s just the water heater filling up after you’ve fully drained it for winter. It does take a while.

EmilysDad replied on 03/03/2021 08:31

Posted on 03/03/2021 08:31

All taps need to be open to purge air from the water system. You can shut each tap in turn as you get a proper full flow from it

Navigateur replied on 03/03/2021 08:45

Posted on 03/03/2021 08:45

Air is compressable.  Water is not.  Pump pressure switch is not "seeing" sufficient pressure in piping so keeps trying.  Open taps one at a time starting with furthest from pump and once air blown out, close again.

It is not uncommon for a water system to loose pressure over time while in use. The pump then starts and runs for a few tens of seconds and shuts off. 

Gazza1958 replied on 20/04/2021 08:30

Posted on 20/04/2021 08:30

Hi, im a newbie to the motorhome scene, bought a bailey autograph 765 2014 last year and winterized as per hand book. Can anybody tell me where the water heater tank is on this model, as Yesterday I filled fresh water tank and switched on pump to get water to taps etc ,  but the system is airlocked,  tried for ages but can't get water to taps  I've tried the suggestions in this thread to no avail. Cheers gazza

Y

DavidKlyne replied on 20/04/2021 09:55

Posted on 20/04/2021 08:30 by Gazza1958

Hi, im a newbie to the motorhome scene, bought a bailey autograph 765 2014 last year and winterized as per hand book. Can anybody tell me where the water heater tank is on this model, as Yesterday I filled fresh water tank and switched on pump to get water to taps etc ,  but the system is airlocked,  tried for ages but can't get water to taps  I've tried the suggestions in this thread to no avail. Cheers gazza

Y

Posted on 20/04/2021 09:55

In the search for the water heater look for the vent on the outside of the motorhome and heater will be on the other side inside the van. Where is the water tank, external or internal? Do you have the Alde or Truma system?

David

hamlin replied on 01/01/2023 12:45

Posted on 01/01/2023 12:45

I have a Bailey Autograph 79T an the pump is under the floor near to the whale plug to fill the tank. It is accessible from outside underneath but a black plastic cover needs to be removed to get access to it.

Mine doesn't seem to be working after I let it freeze and forgot to open the taps to drain them too. It just pumps air and a little water spluttering out. I'm taking it to get serviced properly.

young thomas replied on 01/01/2023 18:50

Posted on 01/01/2023 18:50

If water pumps are virtually exposed to the elements (accessed from outside!) then, if the pump itself is not drained properly, there is a chance of freezing which will do it no good at all.

sometimes, folk think they are filling the tank and they have left the fresh water dump valve open and water is actually pouring out of the bottom of the van...

ensure all drain valves are closed.

i fill the cold tank with about 20 ltrs of water then stop. Turn on water pump and hot tank will start to fill. When this is full the pump will stop.

at this point, there will be a lot of air pressure in the hot tank..by gently opening a hot tap (doesn't really matter which one you start with) air will gently escape and, as spluttery water starts to come from the tap, run gently until, a solid stream. the pump will start and refill the hot tank.

Open next hot tap and repeat for all hot taps. Hot side of system is now primed.

repeat with cold taps one by one until they are primed.

this should take only a minute or two.

continue filling cold tank until brimmed.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook