Awning flooring

andykain replied on 13/04/2020 13:14

Posted on 13/04/2020 13:14

Hello all, hope everyone is keeping safe in these uncertain times. Now I have some time on my hands I have turned my attention to awning flooring. We have recent bought a Vango STD air Kela V awning for out motorhome, its excellent. But one thing is worrying me, in the 2 times we have used it prior to the sites closing, I was worried about stepping on the in built groundsheet especially as I set up on gravel. So, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to a good solution to flooring? It would need to be sufficient enough to cope with a camping table and a couple of camping chairs.

Thank you

Andrew

JVB66 replied on 13/04/2020 17:38

Posted on 13/04/2020 17:38

You could get the square flooring "tiles" that lock together they are normally in packs of 8 available from numerous camping outlets or on line ,have you got the space to store them

replied on 13/04/2020 18:45

Posted on 13/04/2020 18:45

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

heddlo replied on 13/04/2020 19:39

Posted on 13/04/2020 18:45 by

We use the interlocking tiles and find them great when walking barefoot. I lay them on top of a  HD polythene sheet . To prevent the chairs  digging into them  I have split tennis balls   on their feet. They are a bit bulky to transport but light and ours either travel in the shower or the car. These packs of tiles are sometimes on offer at Halfords or Aldi.

Posted on 13/04/2020 19:39

We use these too.  Ours are black though, we can’t remember the name of them at present!  Work very well.  Ours travel under the bed space.  

richardandros replied on 14/04/2020 05:37

Posted on 13/04/2020 18:45 by

We use the interlocking tiles and find them great when walking barefoot. I lay them on top of a  HD polythene sheet . To prevent the chairs  digging into them  I have split tennis balls   on their feet. They are a bit bulky to transport but light and ours either travel in the shower or the car. These packs of tiles are sometimes on offer at Halfords or Aldi.

Posted on 14/04/2020 05:37

I bought a load of these a couple of years ago when they were very cheap at the end of the year sale in Halfords.  They were OK on a flat hardstanding but useless on grass if the surface was a bit uneven - they kept coming unlocked and riding up.

They sat in the garage for ages until I had the idea of cutting them to fit inside all the under-seat/bed lockers where they now provide a perfectly fitted 'carpet' to stop the wooden flooring getting scratched from all the usual junk that's stored in there! (And I did check to make sure there weren't any vents being blocked).

We use a Kampa fitted carpet with another old one underneath for comfort if on a hardstanding.

andykain replied on 14/04/2020 07:48

Posted on 14/04/2020 07:48

Thank you, I had been looking at the tiles, but we are struggling with space to be fair, there is a fitted carpet option available but I cant really gauge the thickness by the limited pictures I have found on line. Good suggestion about the tennis balls though, I like that.

peedee replied on 14/04/2020 08:23

Posted on 14/04/2020 08:23

I am not sure what you are trying to protect the awning ground sheet from, the gravel or the furniture legs! Both are equally damaging. It would have been better to have an awning without a built in ground sheet or remove it. The only other option is to protect both side of the inbuilt ground sheet.

peedee

cyberyacht replied on 14/04/2020 08:25

Posted on 14/04/2020 08:25

Built-in groundsheets are all very well but it does present problems for those on grass as lifting to prevent killing the grass becomes problematic.

replied on 14/04/2020 08:35

Posted on 14/04/2020 08:25 by cyberyacht

Built-in groundsheets are all very well but it does present problems for those on grass as lifting to prevent killing the grass becomes problematic.

Posted on 14/04/2020 08:35

replied on 14/04/2020 09:07

Posted on 14/04/2020 07:48 by andykain

Thank you, I had been looking at the tiles, but we are struggling with space to be fair, there is a fitted carpet option available but I cant really gauge the thickness by the limited pictures I have found on line. Good suggestion about the tennis balls though, I like that.

Posted on 14/04/2020 09:07

replied on 14/04/2020 09:25

Posted on 14/04/2020 09:25

We had a zipped in groundsheet ['zig'] with our trailer tent. We placed a medium weight tarpaulin on the gravel of the pitch to protect the zig underside and a camping carpet in the awning interior for warmth and furniture protection. Weight, volume and cost kept to the minimum and the quality at an acceptable level, in the knowledge that the camping carpet could be thrown away as wear and tear and general grubbiness caused by traipsing in dew laden footwear took their toll.

Steve

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook