Avon tyre wall degradation

Bigaliboy replied on 15/07/2021 12:35

Posted on 15/07/2021 12:35

Hello everyone - although I've been a CC member for many years, I've never been on here before so forgive me if I'm posting the wrong sort of topic or in the wrong place.

Im a recent MOT, my front offside tyre was posted as an advisory - so I fear it may well be a fail next time.

The tyre is an Avon AV12 van 109/107S, one of two fitted to my Fiat Chausson Welcome 85 in August '19, just over 4,000 miles ago - there's .loads of tread left. Then issue is cracks in the sidewall close to the wheel rim. The nearside tyre is fine and the older Continentals on the back are likewise showing no signs of this.

I have taken it back to the supplying company whom I won't mention at the moment and to be fair, their manager in not back till next week so I don't have a final word about whether they will accept liability - meantime I just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience in the past, and how they went about getting a good outcome.

Once again, apologies if this is not the right subject for discussion

Thanks

Alisdair

Tinwheeler replied on 15/07/2021 12:56

Posted on 15/07/2021 12:56

The key issue is the age of the tyre rather than how long it's been fitted or how many miles it's done. Like caravans, MHs suffer from sidewall degradation and most tyres tend to be changed on the basis of age rather the tread depth. An internet search will show you how to read a tyre's age from the numbers embossed on it. Usually a max of 7 years, preferably closer to 5, is suggested for the life of a tyre.

If you do a bit of research, you'll establish whether you have a case for returning to the supplying dealer but, in any case, I would replace that tyre now. 

Fozzie replied on 18/07/2021 23:52

Posted on 18/07/2021 23:52

I can vaguely recall when I researched new tyres that Avon themselves do not recommend that they are fitted to motorhomes and caravans.

If you google Avon and see if the information is still on their website.

peedee replied on 19/07/2021 20:09

Posted on 19/07/2021 20:09

I find that an odd statement considering the AV9 11 and 12 tyres are designed for us by commercial vans and have re-inforced sidewalls to cope with hitting kerbs. I have Cooper Avon AV11s fitted to the front wheels of my van. I can check exactly when they were fitted but  think it was about three years ago and there is absolutely no sign of any sidewall cracking. Perhaps Avon are protecting themselves against damaged caused by overloading or lack of use . Lets face it, if they are designed for commercial use, motorhomes are built on commercial chassis so there really shouldn't be any  issues if the vehicles is used responsibly. My previous front tyres were also commercial ones by Michelin and they were replaced after 7 years use.

peedee

peedee replied on 19/07/2021 20:19

Posted on 19/07/2021 20:19

Just checked, front tyres were replaced in December 2018 and are now in their 3rd year of use. I assume the AV12 supercedes the AV11.

peedee

PS my rear tyres are also Continental Vanco

Bigaliboy replied on 22/11/2021 12:47

Posted on 22/11/2021 12:47

Hi everyone - I should have posted this ages ago but....

Anyway, I am happy to report that, on his return from holiday, the manger of National Tyres in Crewe took one look at the tyre and agreed immediately to replace it at no cost - so top marks to National Tyres at Crewe

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook