Applecross pass

D40David replied on 24/04/2017 20:04

Posted on 24/04/2017 20:04

Anyone any experience of coming out of Applecross with a fully loaded van conversion over the Pass of the cattle?.

I have a Autosleeper Kemerton XL manual 160hp, but she will be approaching max weight. 

ABM replied on 24/04/2017 22:27

Posted on 24/04/2017 22:27

The   Pass  over  Bealach  Na  Ba  (  Showing  off  again embarassed   )  should  be  of  no  trouble  to  your  motor  !  I  use  it  quite  often,  but  the  road  is  not  in  the  first  flush  of  youth,  rather  like  many  roads  now a days.  There  are  a  few  pot  holes  etc  but,  if  the  clouds  are  high  and  you  dont  think  its  just  like  Shap,  then  sensible  driving  will  see  you  over  OK  !!  If  you  are  coming  from  Applecross  then  take  a  pause  at  the  bottom  &  take  a  picture  of  the  Warning  Signs  --  they  will  give  you  a  nice  warm  feeling  as  you  tell  folks  "  Tis  just  a  bigger  piece  of  cake,  really"    It  isnt  --  but  it  just  needs  sensible  driving  --  but  there  are  large  Passing  Places  where  it is  accepted  one  can  pull  in  and  admire  the  great  views !

Mines  a  130,  midi  length  3300  kg  and  ,  touch  wood,  has  never  skipped  a  beat  on  the  climb  going  in  or  out  wink

Brian   A B M

mickysf replied on 25/04/2017 03:38

Posted on 25/04/2017 03:38

• Have done it both ways several times over the years. First time I was a little apprehensive, waited at the bottom and then followed a huge delivery truck up. Having overcome that initial trepidation I now know that with the extra care and attention needed the rewards are worth it. Beautiful views and places to visit in this stunning area.

thebroons replied on 25/04/2017 14:19

Posted on 25/04/2017 14:19

We done it last week with our 7.5m m/h which is 4250kg with no issues. 

Luckily it was a nice sunny day as it was closed yesterday due to the snow. 

D40David replied on 27/04/2017 07:20

Posted on 27/04/2017 07:20

Thanks for the advice, i'm definately coming over it as we are doing a complete anticlockwise trip around the UK coast as and when we get some holiday!

Fisherman replied on 27/04/2017 08:49

Posted on 27/04/2017 08:49

If you dont fancy the pass you can go via the northern route. No problems and that's  how we go every time.

thebroons replied on 27/04/2017 15:20

Posted on 27/04/2017 15:20

I can highly recommend the coastal route from Shieldaig to Applecross as the scenery is stunning. Just watch out for the highland cows that wonder freely. 

JCB4X4 replied on 27/04/2017 19:55

Posted on 27/04/2017 19:55

Yes!  I know it's just a typo and it happens to us all:

but I wonder what the Highland Cows wonder? undecided

CRF replied on 27/04/2017 20:08

Posted on 27/04/2017 20:08

The road over  Bealach Na Ba is a stunning drive. Its not for caravans or large motor homes. In the high season I have seen many accidents and road blocks over that bit of road. In early season you may find it snow bound with ice on the top section as it is now. Its possible that you may get stuck and any road support such as AA etc may not be able to come to your aid.  O and another thing if there is a mountain rescue call out for that area it could be disastrous for the casualty and us trying to fight our way around large motor homes especially on the mid to top sections. If we get their first the road will be closed by the police and you may find your self blocked for the rest of the day/ night. So don't go there its not a challenge to see who can get the biggest motor home down the hill . Why not walk up or down and get the exercise.

Many Thanks 

Skyerod67 replied on 30/04/2017 09:19

Posted on 30/04/2017 09:19

I agree with CRF, it's not a road I would take my motorhome on, especially during the summer months when foreign tourists and their hire cars can be a nightmare and more often will come at you on the wrong side of the road!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook