Ambulatory oxygen

Annieb1 replied on 09/03/2016 14:03

Posted on 09/03/2016 14:03

I may have to start using oxygen for a medical condition and would like to hear from anyone who has experience of using it in a motorhome particularly abroad. Do you take the cylinder or buy a portable compressor for example? I am aware of issues such as notifying insurance, displaying stickers etc

QFour replied on 09/03/2016 22:54

Posted on 09/03/2016 22:54

If you have to use an Oxygen Cylinder you cannot use a compressor to refill it. They are filled with oxygen and not air. Father of a guy I work with has them. they call him the space man when he is walking round with the cylinder on his back.

No idea how you get Oxygen in other countries but sure the NHS must have come across it with people wanting to go on holiday. You may find your biggest problem is insurance. We found the club do a very good yearly one but don't know if they would cover you if you need oxygen all the while.

bandgirl replied on 09/03/2016 22:58

Posted on 09/03/2016 22:58

People on oxygen at home have an electric machine that draws in air from the room and extracts oxygen from it then delivers a regulated flow via tube/mask. Not sure what the machine is called. They also have a back up oxygen cylinder in case of power supply. Both are hefty pieces of equipment.

Annieb1 replied on 09/03/2016 23:26

Posted on 09/03/2016 23:26

I already use a nebuliser but will need oxygen Not 24/7 but as required when breathless. It is provided in small cylinders with valves etc. I just wondered how people find it using it in a motorhome and getting refills etc abroad or is it better to use a portable compressor type concentrator. These  are an alternative way of using oxygen but are expensive to buy. They are not used to refill cylinders as suggested above. large machines are only if on it 24/7. I am aware of the insurance issues etc but just wanted to hear from anyone who actually used oxygen in any guise in their motorhome. 

QFour replied on 10/03/2016 13:45

Posted on 10/03/2016 13:45

You can buy the small bottles on Amazon which also means they are available on the continent. Not the cheapest way of buying but you could if you were heading to France order them from Amazon.FR and get them delivered to site or drop box. You would of course have to set up an account.

Qashqai66 replied on 10/03/2016 14:46

Posted on 10/03/2016 14:46

I regret to say that many of these posts reveal a plethora of ignorance on the subject of oxygen therapy.  I have half an hour of oxygen at 6 litres per minute every morning and evening in order to reduce the symptoms of chronic migraine.  I use a portable oxygen concentrator which is not - as stated by bandgirl - a hefty piece of equipment.  It is about the size of a lady's handbag and weighs about 2 kg.  It runs from mains, a rechargeable battery or a car 12 volt supply.  My machine goes with me wherever I go and it has never crossed my mind to mention the matter to insurers other than the fact that the machine itself is insured.  At a cost of £2,500 it needs to be.  The drawback of most portable concentrators is their very small capacity, some as low as 2 litres per minute.  Mine is an Inogenone G2 which has the advantage of going all the way to 6 litres per minute.

Annieb1 replied on 11/03/2016 15:26

Posted on 11/03/2016 15:26

Thank you so much Qashqai. Just the answer I was hoping for. I was trying to be civil regarding the replies from non users trying to be helpful,  my cylinders give 2.5 hours of oxygen which I need for a lung condition but not constantly just when  out of breath. They are provided by the nhs so I would not be buying from amazon despite kind suggestions. I was advised by the supplier to notify insurers if the cylinders are transported because they are a risk if the vehicle goes up in flames. I presume a concentrator would not cause the same hazard.  I am considering buying a portable concentrator as seen in various medical mags because cylinders will take up so much room in our vw camper.  Your information is very useful as I do not know anyone with experience of them or using one in a motorhome. I will pursue it further. I would need one with your sort of capacity. Thanks again. 

Qashqai66 replied on 11/03/2016 15:37

Posted on 11/03/2016 15:37

My pleasure Annieb 1,  It might help you to know that the whole question of buying your own concentrator is a minefield with pitfalls for the unwary!  I researched long and hard before finding the Inogen One G2 which is the only one which does 6 litrs per minute.  The two main suppliers are Intermedical and The Oxygen Store.  With hindsight I could have done better in beating the price down.  I had am email from Intermedical a week or so ago offering me a G2 at around £500 below list price so now I am kicking myself!  I do hope you manage to find the right machine.  If I can help any further then please follow up on this thread and I will get back to you.  I think I am right in saying that I am not allowed to put my email address on here.

Qashqai66 replied on 11/03/2016 15:40

Posted on 11/03/2016 15:40

Sorry I forgot to say that there is no hazard with a concentrator as it simply separates the gases and compresses the O2 with each pulse.  It matches itself to your breathing.  There is nothing under compression when it is not in use.  All the airlines allow those who need them to use them in flight.

DavidKlyne replied on 11/03/2016 17:22

Posted on 11/03/2016 17:22

Annieb 1

Its good to know that you are determined to enjoy your European travel. Just a thought for you. Are there any charities/support groups for your particular condition. If so they might know of arrangements for sourcing new supplies whilst you are travelling, there may even be arrangements already in place?

Davd

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook