Alarm on Elddis motorhome

Hallsontour replied on 16/09/2017 15:46

Posted on 16/09/2017 15:46

We have an Elddis motorhome, 2 years old this week, that came with an alarm as standard. Until last night we've had no problems. However, 1am this morning I was woken by the thing going off and it wouldn't reset, or even go off at one point! I eventually managed to shut the thing up and lock it leaving the alarm off. Back to bed.

Today, after reading on the internet I discovered that after a certain time the bonnet switch for the alarm can push up into the bonnet insulation and set the alarm off. I decided to investigate. Being 2 years old it had an engine service only last week. I think having the bonnet up for this has disturbed the alarm switch in the insulation so it didn't get pushed down far enough to stop the alarm going off. I've pushed extra packing (a square of old carpet) behind the bonnet insulation to stiffen it for the alarm button to rest on. So far so good, fingers crossed! Alarm has re-set and not gone off. Hopefully a peaceful night ahead 😊

Anyone one else have any other experiences / suggestions I should try just in case this doesn't work long term?

TheSearles replied on 16/09/2017 18:38

Posted on 16/09/2017 18:38

We too have an Elddis, in our case on Peugeot chasis. We have found that when you unlock with the key fob, the cab part reactivates the alarm if you enter through the habitation door.  A bit of investigation revealed that if you open the driver or passenger door after unlocking, this does not happen.

It does actually make sense as it designed to cover instances when the vehicle is accidentally unlocked and so after a period it decides that no one has entered and relocks.

Ours is three years old so probably a similar vehicle.

cyberyacht replied on 17/09/2017 07:10

Posted on 17/09/2017 07:10

I've only had my Peugeot based 2016 Majestic for a few days and I'm still getting to grips with the alarm system. I've managed to set it off a couple of times already but fortunately not in the middle of the night.

GordonMorrison replied on 17/09/2017 14:54

Posted on 17/09/2017 14:54

Similar issues with our 2016 185 Elddis. No problem what soever until a month ago and now it goes off randomly but for some reason more at night. 

I suppose it depends how sensitive it is, we speculated it may have been a moth or something (night time only problem) but this seems unlikely. 

It can go for a week and be fine, then it goes off for apparently no reason. When we spring out of bed and switch it off it gives a few extra beeps than the normal opening noises. 

Hallsontour replied on 17/09/2017 20:05

Posted on 17/09/2017 20:05

Thanks for the replies, I just hope the extra bit of carpet under the bonnet has sorted the problem.

When we first got the van we had the same problems setting the alarm off. We now have an agreement that we are in 'car mode' or 'camping mode'. In car mode we just use the remote to open the front doors and don't ever enter via the back door. In camping mode we firstly open and enter the van via a cab door, we then press the central locking button on the dash to lock the cab doors and only use the back door. It means if we leave the van for a short while whilst camping the alarm isn't on but more often than not the dog is in so we couldn't use the alarm anyway. Saves setting the alarm off all the time. It's worked for us so far. Oh the joys of modern technology 😊 

Jack2009 replied on 19/12/2018 09:42

Posted on 19/12/2018 09:42

With regards to the problem with the alarm resetting after the habitation door has been opened, I had this problem after just a few trips. The problem was the alarm sensor on the habitation door. One of the wires had broken off. Resoldered it and it worked for a short time but broke off again. Unlike house alarms, these sensors are open circuit when the door is closed so a dis wire doesn’t trigger the alarm. The system doesn’t register the door opening and, after a minute or two, the alarm resets. I ended up buying a better quality switch from RS components. It’s quite difficult to work out what’s normally open (NO) and normally closed(NC) as not everyone uses the same terminolog. I bought a two way magnetic switch that could be used as either NO or NC, depending which of the wires used.

LMSE replied on 21/02/2023 07:10

Posted on 21/02/2023 07:10

I know these comments are now some years old, but the solution to the 'bonnet insulation' problem from 'Hallsontour' was exceptionally helpful. My alarm used to go off sporadically and I was advised that the habitation door sensors may have moved 'out of alignment'. Not the case - so, after reading these comments, I checked under the bonnet and noticed that the alarm switch had indeed made an indentation in the noise insulation, thus setting off the alarm. A quick trip to my local hardware store and 1 x sticky pad later, problem solved! Cheers guys.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook