Air conditioning Swift Escape 694 2017 reg

ScreenName3917B94204 replied on 27/02/2021 20:17

Posted on 27/02/2021 20:17

Hi,

I'm looking to retrofit an air con unit in my Swift Escape 694 2017 reg. It's fitted with a Truma heating system. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way forward?

Thanks for your support!

peedee replied on 28/02/2021 12:10

Posted on 28/02/2021 12:10

I'm not a fan of airconditioning except in the cab for driving in high temperatures so cannot advise on types etc for the accommation area but I would at least check there is sufficient payload to take the weight and keep in mind that not every site supplies enough electrictiy to run it, especially on the Continent.

peedee

KjellNN replied on 28/02/2021 16:18

Posted on 28/02/2021 16:18

We have aircon in our caravan.  Weight of the unit  and strength of the roof both need to be considered.

I would not worry too much about the power available to run it, the one we have uses only 3amps.

Dave Nicholson replied on 28/02/2021 19:26

Posted on 28/02/2021 19:26

As others have said, aircon units are heavy and will eat into your payload. Unless you plan to spend a very long time in a hot climate the actual time the unit will run to cool your habitation area is likely to be relatively short. With the above in mind and the fact that we do spend some time travelling in Southern Europe, I opted to use a free standing aircon unit that I can quickly removed when we’re unlikely to use it. The unit, when in place, is vented through the floor of the motorhome. When its removed, panels on the floor both inside and underneath the motorhome are replaced. The unit draws 4 amps when running which is suitable for the vast majority of European campsite electricity supplies. 

KjellNN replied on 28/02/2021 20:30

Posted on 28/02/2021 20:30

Our aircon unit, a Dometic, weighs around 30kg.   We planned for it by upgrading our MTPLM, quite easy in a caravan, not so in a MH.

If you have the payload to spare, as we did, then no reason not to go for it.

We find it good as our van is quite  old, 2008, and not so well insulated as newer vans, so does get quite hot sitting in the sun.   We use it a lot, even in UK, if it is sunny.

If you want it, have a suitable roof, available payload, and can afford it, go for it !  We have never regretted having it fitted.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook