Air conditioning for an 8m Motorhome.

DC motorhome replied on 04/06/2018 12:46

Posted on 04/06/2018 12:46

After a somewhat uncomfortable recent trip my wife and I are researching air conditioning units for our Motorhome as we are undertaking a European tour in July. The CMC website does not have any reviews or advice on the matter so we are appealing to other CMC members for guidance and advice.

Best regards

DH.

Dave Nicholson replied on 06/06/2018 08:10

Posted on 06/06/2018 08:10

I assume your’re refering to air conditioning of the habitable area and not just the vehicle cab. I researched this for some time before opting for a removable free standing unit that’s vented through the floor of the motorhome. It can be removed in under one minute and the exhaust aperture is fitted with covers both inside and out. There are a number of factors that have to be considered when fitting any AC unit to a motorhome eg. Weight of the AC unit (they are not lightweight) and the power consumption, especially if you are in Europe where 16 Amp supplies are rare. The unit I’ve fitted works well on our 7.5M motorhome and requires less than 4 Amps to power it. We only take it with us mid summer in Europe but this year we wished we’d had it in April and May too!

Apperley replied on 07/06/2018 11:32

Posted on 06/06/2018 08:10 by Dave Nicholson

I assume your’re refering to air conditioning of the habitable area and not just the vehicle cab. I researched this for some time before opting for a removable free standing unit that’s vented through the floor of the motorhome. It can be removed in under one minute and the exhaust aperture is fitted with covers both inside and out. There are a number of factors that have to be considered when fitting any AC unit to a motorhome eg. Weight of the AC unit (they are not lightweight) and the power consumption, especially if you are in Europe where 16 Amp supplies are rare. The unit I’ve fitted works well on our 7.5M motorhome and requires less than 4 Amps to power it. We only take it with us mid summer in Europe but this year we wished we’d had it in April and May too!

Posted on 07/06/2018 11:32

Dave, I found your reply interesting, could you provide more details of the make and model of your unit, the supplier and cost? Thanks.

Dave Nicholson replied on 07/06/2018 12:20

Posted on 07/06/2018 12:20

The unit I use is a Sekom SCT 096Y. Dimensions are 420W x 636H x 3015 D. I bought it in Italy 3 years ago and if I remember rightly it was less than 300 Euro. The data sheet states a running current of slightly over 5 amps but the measured current is 4.1A so it will run with a 4 amp supply.

Appliance direct offer a similar unit (Amcor SF12000E) for £250. Venting the exhaust through the floor of the motorhome was simple enough and when the unit is not in the motorhome the vents are covered with plywood covers. The unit comes with a through the window venting system but its a it messy and its not mosquito proof!

I see little point in having an installed AC unit in the motorhome that’s only used for a few weeks per year and for most of our travels we leave the AC at home. Let me know if you need more info. 

Arrivakids replied on 08/06/2018 10:43

Posted on 08/06/2018 10:43

We too have purchased a little box well thats what it looks like from ebay, it weighs almost nothing you apply water to one side of the unit and it blows cold air out. Low amp and its compact. Unless i am Travelling for months in hot weather i would probably consider the better option but going to try this one and i will post later on when we get back and tell you what we thought of it.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook