Agm leisure battery

nelliethedog replied on 21/12/2020 20:23

Posted on 21/12/2020 20:23

Hi all, I've been looking at replacing the leisure battery in my 2016 Bailey 635 Motorhome and I'm thinking of getting one of Halfords own brand, which I believe are made by yuasa and have good reviews. My query is should I go for the agm or just settle for the cheaper efb? We almost always have ecu when on pitch so is the agm worth the extra? Also would my on-board charger be suitable for the agm? Thanks for any help 

LLM replied on 21/12/2020 20:42

Posted on 21/12/2020 20:42

You will need to read your hand book and/or physically check your charger to see if it can handle an AGM battery.

If you spend the majority of time on EHU having an AGM may not be of any real advantage; mostly off grid it will.

Halfords have a limited range and choice of batteries.  A more comprehensive range can be found at Tayna Batteries.

cyberyacht replied on 22/12/2020 08:13

Posted on 22/12/2020 08:13

If you are prepared to make the investment, then a lithium battery, an inverter and a decent amount of solar will make you independent of EHU.

DavidKlyne replied on 22/12/2020 09:50

Posted on 22/12/2020 09:50

I have the Alliance 66-2 which if I recall correctly is basically the same as your motorhome but with a few more features. As has been said a standard leisure battery is fine if you are always going to be on electric hook up. Even for the odd night off grid. Mine is fitted with a Banner battery which has to be topped up and I am seriously thinking of changing it to a sealed marine leisure battery as its easy to forget to top up. I would also check the size of the battery box to see if you can accommodate a 100 amp hour battery, mine was supplied with only 85 amp hour. Another heads up for Tayna Batteries, I seem to recall members might get a discount?

David

nelliethedog replied on 22/12/2020 22:26

Posted on 22/12/2020 22:26

Thanks everyone, I'll probably just go for a decent sealed battery as we are usually on hook-up. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook