Advisory Notice on potential new Motorhome

ScottPente replied on 15/03/2019 08:26

Posted on 15/03/2019 08:26

Morning,

Looking for some advise if anybody could help please.

I've got my eye on a 1994 Talbot Express 1300 motorhome. It is being sold privately, and is in very good condition for it's age, and everything works woohoo!

However, the MOT has flagged the following advisory notice - Nearside Front
inner and outer sill corroded round drain hole.

I've looked into this and read that the outer corrosion is a fairly straight forward fix by welding in a new plate, but the inner corrosion worries me.

Has anybody got experience of buying a motorhome with this advisory, and if so should I be worried and potentially put off buying the van?

Thanks

Scott

Takethedogalong replied on 15/03/2019 12:13

Posted on 15/03/2019 12:13

Sills usually come as Inner and Outer, sometimes with a central Sill as well depending on model. It is referring to the piece of metal that makes up a full Sill. If you google Talbot Express motorhome Sill, then you can possibly find the exact pieces of metal you need to replace those that are corroded. I doubt (hope) they will be overly expensive. 

Here’s a basic drawing of three part Sill 

Tinwheeler replied on 15/03/2019 12:52

Posted on 15/03/2019 12:52

Personally, Scott, I would only consider buying a potential MOT failure with an advisory notice about rust if it was dirt cheap and I had the facilities to repair it. It is a big gamble.

Bad rust in one area often means that there are hidden rust problems in other areas and satisfactory repairs can cost more than the vehicle is worth. If it was a simple repair job, I suspect most sellers would have it carried out before advertising the vehicle.

Alternatively, you could consider making an offer on condition that the repair is done to the MOT tester's satisfaction so the advisory is lifted and the vehicle passes a new MOT before purchase.

ScottPente replied on 15/03/2019 13:35

Posted on 15/03/2019 13:35

Thank you for your responses. I went to see the vehicle before doing my research, but there was a rusty hole on the outer sill, and I suspect a decent amount of rust around it. The seller argued that it could easily be fixed by welding a plate to it, but the difficulty is knowing how much damage has been done inside.

I was very tempted, but I think I might have to leave this one!

rayjsj replied on 15/03/2019 14:29

Posted on 15/03/2019 13:35 by ScottPente

Thank you for your responses. I went to see the vehicle before doing my research, but there was a rusty hole on the outer sill, and I suspect a decent amount of rust around it. The seller argued that it could easily be fixed by welding a plate to it, but the difficulty is knowing how much damage has been done inside.

Posted on 15/03/2019 14:29

I owned a 1988 Talbot Expess based Autosleeper Talisman,

Cab needed nearly all new panels/wings/ sills/ 2 new doors

And it was OK for a couple of years but a rusty (rotting) scuttle completely beat me. And I sold it on.

I wanted a Campavan....not a full time restoration project.

Engine was a 2 litre petrol and really reliable, gearbox change was terrible....pudding stirrer.   Think you are wise to pass on this one.

Takethedogalong replied on 15/03/2019 15:13

Posted on 15/03/2019 15:13

Aged Talbot=Aged Fiat which roughly translates as an Italian rust bucket, unless scrupulously maintained. Probably a wise decision to walk on by. Happy hunting, there are some very nice second hand campers out there, it’s finding them that takes time.

Tinwheeler replied on 15/03/2019 15:14

Posted on 15/03/2019 13:35 by ScottPente

Posted on 15/03/2019 15:14

I think that might be the best decision, Scott.

I wonder why the seller didn’t get it fixed if it was an easy job?🤔🙂

TonyIshUK replied on 20/03/2019 15:54

Posted on 20/03/2019 15:54

Reminds me of Car SOS TV program when the car was put on a lift and the front and rear of the car went up, but the middle section stayed on the floor! 

Rgds

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook