4 Tonne Motorhome and European Motorway Tolls

paulcroasdale replied on 09/01/2021 15:13

Posted on 09/01/2021 15:13

We have recently upped our motorhome from 3.5 tonnes to 4 tonnes. We live in Germany therefore we drive almost exclusively in Europe. It is easy to get e Toll payment boxes for some  countries, eg Austria the GoBox, Slovenia the DARSGO. Other countries have really complicated rules for Motorhomes over 3.5 tonnes, eg France.

Do any members have any suggestions for e Toll payment boxes for motorhomes of 4 tonnes for countries in Europe?

eurortraveller replied on 09/01/2021 15:56

Posted on 09/01/2021 15:56

Which countries ? They all have different systems - but all have something .It depends on where you are planning to go but the Tolltickets company will advise or will supply you with a TIS-PL box covering France and Spain if that is your problem area. 

ATDel replied on 09/01/2021 21:25

Posted on 09/01/2021 21:25

I thought that the toll booths use height rather than weight so if you use card/cash you will be charged class 2 if under 3m rather than class 3, quite a saving if you don’t use a tag

paulcroasdale replied on 10/01/2021 09:29

Posted on 10/01/2021 09:29

Thanks for the replies so far, please keep them coming. 

eurotraveller, Thanks we have ordered a Tis-PL box for France and Spain and we have box for Austria and Slovenia. We live in Germany so we frequently cross European borders. We are interested in all European countries. Later this year, COVID permitting, we plan to cross 10 borders.  

Motorhomer, In France once you are above 3.5 T weight the height becomes irrelevant because you become class 3.

Phising, Three reasons. Most EU countries share vehicle information data bases so any data base enquiry would show the weight. Both France and Spain use mobile weighing stations as do many other countries. The Maximum allowed weight is shown on the vehicle paperwork which the police can ask to see. The fines for such an offence are eye watering. 

eurortraveller replied on 10/01/2021 16:16

Posted on 10/01/2021 16:16

Paul, further thoughts for you.  I was under the impression that the Italian Telepass device was just for Italian autostrada, but reading their website  reveals that that company has developed a windscreen mounted device covering motorways in France, Spain and Portugal as well as those in Italy. If you apply you need to specify their European service version, but do please check with them that it includes vehicles as large as yours.

paulcroasdale replied on 11/01/2021 13:09

Posted on 11/01/2021 13:09

Hi eurotraveller, Many thanks for your thought. Unfortunately Telepass has a maximum weight of 3.5 Tonnes.

However, I have found a website which answers some of my questions, which you, as a eurotraveller, might found useful. web.uta.com

paulcroasdale replied on 11/01/2021 13:32

Posted on 11/01/2021 13:32

eurotraveller, further to my last reply it does appear that telepass eu can be used for vehicles over 3.5 T. Many thanks for your help.  

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook