2012 Bailey Approach 745SE:Pre solar panel wiring

vintageb3 replied on 06/07/2016 12:29

Posted on 06/07/2016 12:29

Hello peoples,

Only been on the forum a day or so and I'm so sorry for asking so many questions. 

This time its solar panels for my 2012 Bailey Approach 745 SE.

I’m hoping to fit my own.  Does anyone with a Bailey (David?) know where the pre wiring is located?

I see there a load of links to solar panels distributors on the CC site.

Any of you have a favourite supplier?

Thanks 

vintageb3

Camdoon replied on 06/07/2016 13:54

Posted on 06/07/2016 13:54

I put solar panels on a 2012 Bailey 760. There was no pre-wiring. All you need is the panel secured to the roof, cables run to an MPPT controller and then run to the battery, with suitable fuses. You may find better support from motorhome based forums but the process is not difficult.

young thomas replied on 06/07/2016 19:06

Posted on 06/07/2016 19:06

the pre wiring on my Bolero was in a roof cupboard just behind the driver. there was a gland already in the roof and there was cabling on the roof but protected by a sealed flap.

the other end of the wiring went down to the Sargent PSU (slot P14) so that things like intelligent charging (as set on the contol panel) could take place.

have a look in the roof lockers or on the roof for the exit gland cover.

all that was needed for my install was to connect the panel to the outside wiring and then add a fused regulator in the locker and connect up.

vintageb3 replied on 06/07/2016 19:29

Posted on 06/07/2016 19:29

the pre wiring on my Bolero was in a roof cupboard just behind the driver. there was a gland already in the roof and there was cabling on the roof but protected by a sealed flap.

the other end of the wiring went down to the Sargent PSU (slot P14) so that things like intelligent charging (as set on the contol panel) could take place.

have a look in the roof lockers or on the roof for the exit gland cover.

all that was needed for my install was to connect the panel to the outside wiring and then add a fused regulator in the locker and connect up.

I hope its that simple on the Bailey!

Thanks BB! 

QFour replied on 06/07/2016 22:04

Posted on 06/07/2016 22:04

Fitting the panel is easy enough. Finding somewhere to drill a hole for the cable can be fun. Once you have sorted both you can fitt a solar charge controller. The best ones are the ones with TWO outputs so you can wire it up to habitation and vehicle battery. Pick the right controller and your vehicle battery willl be trickle charged whenever you leave the vehicle. You can use the white plastic trunking available from B&Q to hold the cables to the roof.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook