2009 Ducato Fuel filter

SuttonColdfield replied on 05/03/2020 14:14

Posted on 05/03/2020 14:14

If you have a Ducato (the X250- 3rd Generation) produced after 2006 you may need to be aware of the fuel filter issue affecting many. I became aware of it when changing the oil so having the bonnet up. Checked for oil leaks to see a huge amount of diesel coming out of the top of the filter. This is a well known fault if the motorhome forums are to be believed. The filter is on the bulkhead on the passenger side, black with a green cover, two pipes for the fuel inlet and outlet and a top electrical connecter and also at the bottom. There may be another pipe at the side which function I am unsure about but mine is unconnected. If you see diesel leaking out you will need to have it checked either by yourself or a garage. The forums seem to suggest that many garages do not use the correct tool for replacing the filter or tightening the top down and may result in a cracked housing if not done correctly. 

For the DIY of us it is best to remove the headlamp unit to ease of access which takes only a few minutes. Word of warning ensure you know which way round the electrical connector on the headlamp goes to ensure the lights work correctly on reassembly. The electrical connector has a yellow slide to be pulled to one side on top of the orange connector, hold up the nib on the orange bit and slide it off. To get to the bottom one I found that it was best to remove the pipes by pushing in the grey part on the connector then pull off the pipe so that you can then remove the housing (2 nuts hold the housing holder to the bulkhead is the easiest way) tipping to minimise leakage before pushing in the spring on the connector to allow it to slide off. Now you need the special tool around £16 to £25, a vice and a torque wrench with half inch square drive. The tool prevents distortion of the plastic housing on dismantling and reassembly. the latter is accomplished by using vaseline on the threads and tightening the ring to 30nM which is a bit of a heave but it works! You are advised not to try it without the tools as you do need to avoid overdoing it or just as bad is not tight enough! There is a YouTube video showing all this but missing out on the detail of removing the headlamp and lacks explaining about the electrical connectors disconnection. Best of luck if you are into DIY here. If not confident go to a garage and ask if they have the tool! 

rayjsj replied on 06/03/2020 13:57

Posted on 06/03/2020 13:57

My Fiat X250 is from 2014, this is fitted with a metal disposable 'Cartridge' type diesel fuel filter, much easier to change (just done mine)  very similar to an oil filter. Not sure when this improvement was introduced. ?

All of the connectors are 'keyed' so only fit one way.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook