17 seater minibus to a camper - tax class question

Clive Penfold replied on 18/03/2022 17:24

Posted on 18/03/2022 17:24

I’m in the process of converting a 17 seater minibus to a camper van.

I told DVLA that I’d removed 15 seats and have been told I need to change the tax class to a private HGV.

I believe I can change it to a camper van tax class once the conversion has been completed.

Does anybody have experience of having to make a change to an intermediate tax class, which looks like it might be expensive!

I’ve tried to keep this short so there’s information missing. Would love to have a talk with anyone knowledgeable in this matter.

All the best,

Clive

JollyKernow replied on 19/03/2022 10:46

Posted on 19/03/2022 10:46

Morning

While you can change your V5 to reflect the vehicle is a Motorhome, the taxation class would still be PHG as the weight of the vehicle which the class is based on won’t change much. If you’re not using it during refit just sorn it and change the paperwork when you’re ready.

Talking of weight it would be a sound move to get on a weighbridge when it’s fully kitted out and send that info when you change the V5. 

JK

Larny replied on 22/03/2022 20:19

Posted on 22/03/2022 20:19

Hello, Isn’t it now very difficult to change the V5 to a “ Motorhome” on a self conversion.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook