Witter detachable tow bars

ScreenName94791EF1A2 replied on 06/10/2020 13:56

Posted on 06/10/2020 13:56

Posted this once already but maybe I did not press the right buttons. Not clear to me but here goes again and hopefully with picture. 
have had this detachable tow bar for around 5 years or so and no problems apart from the strength needed to turn the blue bar to make the ball arm ready for locating in the socket and also for removing.

but now unable to remove the arm which has been on for only 5 days, normally being in the habit of removing when not in use to avoid extra damage if get shunted in the rear, which I have not had in over 40 years.

talked to patient guy at Witter who said squirting with lubricant should solve problem. It has not.

The blue release bar turns when depressed and turned clockwise but no click and no release. Also the resistance to turning clockwise seems different and less resistance compared to before. Also possible to turn the blue bar more than the 90 degrees normally done clockwise to release.

any suggestions gratefully received. Have noted a comment on u tube that the blue release bar can get gunge which inhibits its operation. Am wondering if the blue bar not engaging with the release mechanism on the arm

thanks for any helpful ideas

EmilysDad replied on 07/10/2020 10:52

Posted on 07/10/2020 10:52

Sorry, not knowing your specific bar I can't make a suggestion other than perhaps ask nicely at a tow bar fitting place, they might have a bit more experience of reluctant towbars. 

PS you can change your screen name from the ridiculous default name you've been given. 😉

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook