Window Blind - lubricant?

Gerrybmartin replied on 28/05/2021 09:51

Posted on 28/05/2021 09:51

Hello, I am new to forums and relatively new to caravanning, can anyone suggest a reliable lubricant I can use on my window blinds as they are becoming very stiff to operate. Do they need adjustment, can see anything about that in my manual.

RedKite replied on 28/05/2021 10:09

Posted on 28/05/2021 10:09

They are prone to gathering fluff in the rotating parts and OH has never used lubricant also made need adjusting  we have small parts on ours which snap, a friend of ours used youtube to see how to sort them out, hope this helps and welcome to the club where you will find a lot of useful tips.

commeyras replied on 28/05/2021 10:12

Posted on 28/05/2021 10:12

Gerry.  Are you talking about the roller blinds?  Not sure you are able to lubricate the mechanism although you could ensure that the channels are clear . If you are talking about roller blinds, it sounds as though the springs are tensioned too tightly: it is possible to de tension the springs (if you see what I mean) and re tension them to a more satisfactory tension.  Most have the opposite problem and need to tension them occasionally.

To de tension, on one side of the blind you will see a place where you can insert a screw driver; insert a screw driver and push in, you can then turn it to either tension or de tension the springs.  Care needed as the spring may rapidly de tension!  DO NOT OVER TENSION THE SPRINGS. You do not need too much tension just enough to offer some resistance as you lower the blinds.  This is for blinds which are fitted above the window; I have no experience of blinds you raise.  Hope this helps.  If you caravan has had a habitation service this 'should' have been checked!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook