Which Sealant

JohnM20 replied on 19/09/2022 07:44

Posted on 19/09/2022 07:44

Just back from two weeks in Wales during which time we had a torrential rain storm. The following morning I found a small pool of water in one of the upper side lockers and also noticed water dripping from the top of the side window, between the window and the blinds. My guess is that the sealant has failed under the seal strip on the roof where the roof panel meets the front panel moulding. My question is what is the best sealant to use to effect a good and lasting repair? Has anyone had to do this job and, if so, is there anything I should note?

ABM replied on 19/09/2022 18:33

Posted on 19/09/2022 18:33

Do a full check on SIKAFLEX variants as ED says  --  Get the best one for the job, cos its good stuff  wink

watto64 replied on 21/09/2022 07:37

Posted on 21/09/2022 07:37

I would also use the sikaflex primer if recommended for the surfaces you are sealing. I tested with and without the primer prior to a  repair a few years back and definitely recommend it. 

My joint prep whether bonding two parts or 'tidying' up the sealant on awning rails or roof strips is:

Applied brake cleaning solvent using a sponge swab to clean/dewax the area to be bonded, assuming you have removed old/defective sealant.

Swab repair area with  sikaflex primer with sponge swabs

Wipe swabbed area with clean non coloured paper towel and apply sealant ASAP

peedee replied on 21/09/2022 07:52

Posted on 21/09/2022 07:52

I have also had a problem with leaks in torrential rain when water puddles on the roof. I think mine are caused by the body flexing on hitting really bad bumps in the road which breaks the seals. I have resorted to using a marine version of Sikaflex. It is reputed to be a tougher version of 512.. Its 219i and I got it on the advice of a marine chandlery store but you should be able to  buy it on line. I thought it worth a try.

peedee

mendipwalker replied on 27/10/2022 16:13

Posted on 27/10/2022 16:13

I will be resealing my Bailey Ranger soon, it has leaks on roof and awning rails. As Watto64 says, surface prep is very important (I used to work on aircraft sealant testing). White Spirit should work to remove sealant, but it does contain some oil, so that brake cleaner is needed before applying primer.
The other problem I have is cracked mouldings, possibly due to rust-expanded screws. As an emergency repair I applied hot melt glue from a Bostik gluegun, it worked short term but the glue isnt UV resistant enough. The mouldings seem to be vacuum formed ABS or something similar, so I bought a cheap 'plastic bumper repair kit' online and will try that before resealing the mouldings to the cover strips.

TimboC replied on 28/10/2022 15:46

Posted on 28/10/2022 15:46

I've used Soudal RV61 SMX Polymer sealant and adhesive. Suitable for interior and exterior, and was recommended by a dealer. Its done the trick

compass362 replied on 29/10/2022 16:10

Posted on 28/10/2022 15:46 by TimboC

I've used Soudal RV61 SMX Polymer sealant and adhesive. Suitable for interior and exterior, and was recommended by a dealer. Its done the trick

Posted on 29/10/2022 16:10

I've used this product recently , it's extremely good with High grab hold properties.

It was used internally to fix some seating furniture framework over the O/S wheel arch that had moved after going over speed humps , its done a brilliant job.

As stated it's sealant & adhesive in one tube , readily available from Screwfix.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook