Wheels and torque

netcam replied on 13/04/2022 21:52

Posted on 13/04/2022 21:52

Our new Trigano Mini Freestyle 290 has steel wheels. Having remembered from 10 years ago when I had an Eriba Troll that we used to use a torque wrench to check the torque of the wheel nuts before each journey, I was surprised at the handover to be told when I asked, 'don't touch them, they're been calibrated in the factory'. We bought directly from the importer, not a dealer. Also when considering attaching the wheel trims supplied, I noticed that they completely cover the wheel nuts, so wondered if I should put them on and cover them, eliminating any possibility to ever check the torque. Any thoughts?

eribaMotters replied on 13/04/2022 22:00

Posted on 13/04/2022 22:00

I thought it was still best practice to check the torque a short while after the  wheels had been off and back on. I usually do this when it is back from service. I then clean the stud heads and draw a line with a permanent marker across the head in a straight line towards the centre of the wheel. You can then easily do a visual check to see if anything is working loose. You do not need to check the torque before each journey. I would also fit the hubcaps as they look nice and can be quickly popped off if needed for that visual check and piece of mind.

Colin

clarinetman replied on 17/04/2022 17:04

Posted on 17/04/2022 17:04

After the spate of wheels coming off Bailey unicorn caravans a couple of years ago I have always check the torque on my caravan prior to each journey, 5 mins job and peace of mind.

Lutz replied on 17/04/2022 19:16

Posted on 17/04/2022 19:16

I've only ever checked wheel torques shortly after a wheel change. As I wouldn't contemplate checking torques on the towcar I don't see shy I should do it on the caravan.

EmilysDad replied on 17/04/2022 19:21

Posted on 17/04/2022 19:21

I tighten both car & caravan wheels without the aid of a safety net .... I've yet to have a wheel fall off in 40 years of driving & a fair few of towing. I can never quite get my head around the preoccupation/obsession of checking the torque of a caravan wheel nuts/bolts.

And when 'checking' the torque before every journey, in theory, the bolt/nut would need to be slackened off each time. If you click the torque wrench at the torque setting, is the nut/bolt at the set torque or is it twice or three times the required torque? You'd have slacken & start again to know ....

JVB66 replied on 17/04/2022 19:28

Posted on 13/04/2022 21:52 by netcam

Our new Trigano Mini Freestyle 290 has steel wheels. Having remembered from 10 years ago when I had an Eriba Troll that we used to use a torque wrench to check the torque of the wheel nuts before each journey, I was surprised at the handover to be told when I asked, 'don't touch them, they're been calibrated in the factory'. We bought directly from the importer, not a dealer. Also when considering attaching the wheel trims supplied, I noticed that they completely cover the wheel nuts, so wondered if I should put them on and cover them, eliminating any possibility to ever check the torque. Any thoughts?

Posted on 17/04/2022 19:28

Milenco make tell tales for caravan wheels we have used them on our last three caravans ,so have not needed the faf of checking the torque as if the tell tale have not moved the the wheel bolts are still at the recommended tensionscool

EmilysDad replied on 17/04/2022 19:29

Posted on 17/04/2022 17:04 by clarinetman

After the spate of wheels coming off Bailey unicorn caravans a couple of years ago I have always check the torque on my caravan prior to each journey, 5 mins job and peace of mind.

Posted on 17/04/2022 19:29

... and have you ever found a loose nut/bolt? 🤔

EmilysDad replied on 17/04/2022 21:35

Posted on 17/04/2022 19:34 by JVB66

Lost a  near side wheel on the M1 yell dealers fault so have used telltales ever since'

Posted on 17/04/2022 21:35

so the dealer didn't refit the wheel properly .... 

netcam replied on 17/04/2022 21:38

Posted on 17/04/2022 19:16 by Lutz

I've only ever checked wheel torques shortly after a wheel change. As I wouldn't contemplate checking torques on the towcar I don't see shy I should do it on the caravan.

Posted on 17/04/2022 21:38

Neither would I. But we have just got a new car and have been looking through the instructions. It says we should check the torque after the first 100 miles. We've ordered a Milenco torque wrench kit with the little metal things to put on. But I guess for it to be accurate we need to adjust the torque to the car manufacturer's handbook.

Also, we found in the caravan manual that they recommend 110 to 120Nm. That seems weird to us as they are ALKO M12 as far as I can tell. They are steel wheels. ALKO older handbooks say the M12 should be 88Nm, but newer ones say refer to manufacturers handbook.

We are having a mobile ALKO certified mobile caravan fitter come next weekend to fit ALKO ATC, so I am thinking I could ask him what he thinks.

eribaMotters replied on 17/04/2022 21:39

Posted on 17/04/2022 21:39

As my comment above. Do you need telltales? I strike a line though the head of the bolt with a permanent marker towards the centre of the wheel. If something is working loose you will notice it.

Colin

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook